Author Topic: a little advice needed  (Read 1712 times)

natty

a little advice needed
« on: November 28, 2009, 05:54:29 pm »
i'm 17 and think to much plus not having experience results in creative ignorance .iwas wonderingif it be possible to biuld a sinew backed 1/4 sawn oak bow.60''/50#?

radius

Re: a little advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 06:27:38 pm »
you have come to the right place. 

With quarter sawn oak you can get a 50# bow out of a 60" stave IF the limbs are 2" wide coming out of the fades.  Use white oak.  I make several bows of quarter sawn white oak this summer and this is what i found:

1.75" minimum will get you a 50# bow if it's at least 64" long.

2" and the thing can be a little shorter.

No sinew necessary.....BUT!   You could do it, anyway!

Offline sulphur

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 06:37:42 pm »
i've made one white oak bow.  it blew up.  however it was one of my first.  i think you could do 60" white oak just let it bend through the handle.  maybe 1 5/8 wide and slightly bending in the handle.  sinew could give you a stif handle.  how far are you drawing???  if 27" or less then you could do the 60" with good tiller.

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 09:44:05 pm »
may I ask why the sinew backing. If you get a nice straight grain 1/4 sawn board 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide by 1 inch thick , taper the handle to the ends, it could easily give you a 60 lb bow. Also back with wood or hide, maybe. I would reseverve the sinew for a nice stave bow, raw cut from a tree.I have made 80 lb hickory bows from that demonsion, added a small board for th handle and shaped . Then added elk hide for backing for string follow, which was next to nothing. Good Luck Denny P.S>I for got the length is also very important. I have found board bows to be more stable at 66 inches or more. However with care you can get success with smaller.