Author Topic: Grinding accurate limb thickness tapers???  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Grinding accurate limb thickness tapers???
« on: November 17, 2009, 07:53:02 am »
Here's a problem that has caused me some firewood and alot of extra work by hand....how do I grind/sand accurate limb tapers or tapered laminations? I'm sure there are various jigs to hold the slats or even full length belly slats to be able to grind a STRAIGHT-smooth thickness taper....I find the bandsaw seems to wander too much, maybe my inexperience with one ::) and the table saw does work, but I'm running them thru by hand and that scares the crap outta me.

I have a benchtop sander with various coarse belts(4X36") and a smaller handheld sander that I may bolt down to a bench. I also have a 12" planer that I also don't have enough experience with, but have heard it could be used in this way.   As far as the sanders go, I can't figure out how to hold the belly slat secure and run it thru the sander, or how to adjust for the proper taper.

I spent seveal hours Sunday prepping the components for a bow and I'm still tired and sore from the work involved! I'd prefer to work easier and smarter than slave away at the grunt work!! Any help is greatly appreciated. Pics would be great too!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:05:15 am by Easternarcher »

Offline shikari

Re: Grinding accurate limb thickness tapers???
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 11:35:33 am »
look for sam harpers site,he shows how to make a jig to use with a 4x36 sander to make tapered lams.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 07:32:54 pm »
I cut it close, then wrap the edges of the lam with 1/8" pinstripping tape from the paint store. I hold the lam on the sander and sand until I get to the tape. If you have tape down both sides and sand to the tape you have a perfect lam, as long as you hold it flat.  You can also get 3/16" and 1/4" tape if you want thicker laminations.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 08:19:08 am »
I cut it close, then wrap the edges of the lam with 1/8" pinstripping tape from the paint store. I hold the lam on the sander and sand until I get to the tape. If you have tape down both sides and sand to the tape you have a perfect lam, as long as you hold it flat.  You can also get 3/16" and 1/4" tape if you want thicker laminations.

Well that's not a bad idea either. I do mark my lams with pen lines to show the taper needed, but I was hoping to make an easier job of it.

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 08:47:26 am »
im in the process of making a jig like the one on sam harpers site. im making a few improvements though. ive found a few other places on the internet where guys have made thicness sanders.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 10:05:38 am »
im in the process of making a jig like the one on sam harpers site. im making a few improvements though. ive found a few other places on the internet where guys have made thicness sanders.

Phil

I'd love to see it if you post a pic...let me know how it works.