Author Topic: Not too sure about this one...  (Read 1832 times)

Offline KShip85

Not too sure about this one...
« on: November 11, 2009, 12:02:48 am »
Ok, well here is the American Hornbeam shorty I've mentioned in a couple other posts that I am starting.  I managed to get the cambium mostly off half of each limb so far and have realized just how much this wood varies along the length of the limb in terms of thickness.  While trying to remove the cambium I believe I may have nicked the back in a few places and am hoping by backing it it might still be safe.  Originally I was planning on backing with cotton but am now unsure if I can get it to lay flat along the limbs due to the variation in thickness and the numerous valleys.  I think I may try sinew and see if it could work.  Right now its just under 48 1/2 inches long and 2 inches thick at its widest.  I am thinking I will have to narrow it considerably because the crown is so high in places.  I am really not even sure if its worth wasting my time with this thing as I have real doubts of it ever becoming a bow.  If nothing else I guess I'll get some more experience.  I'd love any input on whether anyone believes it can be made into a serviceable weapon or not.  Any and all advice would be much welcome.  Thanks!

Kip

Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline sailordad

Re: Not too sure about this one...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 12:06:36 am »
dude thats gonna make one cool bow
the back on that thing is something else
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 05:37:46 am »
Looks like you have done a pretty good job on the back from what I can see. I guess sinew
would work,what draw and weight are you looking for ? Worked a lot on HHB but never American
Hornbeam.It is always short and twisted around.Looks like a mussel man's arm.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 07:14:51 am »
Can't say whether it'll work, but if it does be sure you'll get plenty credits for BOM!!!
Frank from Germany...

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 07:52:26 am »
that back is gnarly....I would thin the tips out quite a bit unless you want the thing to rattle your hand everytime you shoot it..

-Ky
GBR!

Offline NTProf

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 07:01:14 pm »
How did you get the bark and cambium off? I would like to try this wood if I can find a decent piece.

Offline KShip85

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 11:46:00 pm »
I'm thinking about trying to hit 40 lbs or so at 20 to 22 inches, partly because I have some short arrows left over since I blew apart my erc shorty.  We'll see what happens.  I got the cambium off by scraping it with a knife blade.  And it took awhile...like make my eyes go crossed from looking at the same place to long while...still have half of each limb left too.  This spring/summer I've got a tree picked out to cut and peels the bark off of while it will still come without much of a fight.  I cut this stuff last winter and the cambium hangs on for dear life.  I plan on finish taking the cambium off tomorrow and perhaps try to get it to bend some, as right now I think I'd sooner tear my shoulder than get it to bend if I tried pulling it at all.  I'm thinking I will have to narrow it down quite a bit because of the excessive crown on it,  might end up getting it bending a little through the handle as well, we'll see.  Once I get the rest of the cambium off I'll know a little more about where to go I think.  Has anyone tried heat treating this stuff or does it even benefit much from it?  From what I understand its pretty tough stuff, I think i heard they used to make wooden cogs and screws out of this stuff, I'd guess that means its fairly good compression wise?  Any input would be great, I am still very much a rookie with this stuff, but thanks to you all am learning a lot.  Hope to be able to have some updates to show in the near future, Thanks!

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN