Author Topic: Tip overlays and perfomance  (Read 3017 times)

Offline ShinneryOak

Tip overlays and perfomance
« on: November 09, 2009, 09:58:28 am »
Tip overlays seem pretty popular in the bows posted here. I don't want to start a war here but just wondered how they affect performance. There's a lot of emphasis in what I've read on keeping limb and tip mass as low as possible but overlays increase the mass. I guess they also keep rings from being cut through on selfbow backs. They are definitely pretty but are they worth it? The only way to know would be to chronograph a bow before and after overlays.

Offline Dano

Re: Tip overlays and perfomance
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 10:11:36 am »
What little if any you give up in performance you get back in longevity of the string.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 10:14:06 am »
What Dano said,plus it allows you to narrow and thin the tips,so they probably don't weight any more than all wood. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 11:09:04 am »
yeah in my limited experience with selfbows, I have noticed that i can make the tips very narrow when I add self nocks and run the string grooves across the back of the bow instead of just side notches on a bow without tip overlays. Without the tip overlays, the string will not stay in the grooves with a self nock that narrow.  (for me anyways)  If anything, I believe you can actually end up with LESS mass if you correctly thin the tips with the tip overlays.  Just my 2 cents...  :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

radius

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 11:14:52 am »
good call, Josh.

I put overlays on almost every bow i make, but let me see...the oak bows i make this year didn't get em.  I used some of the oak as overlays on yew.  With yew, you basically have to add overlays, especially if the bow pulls anything over 40# or so:  the string digs right in to the sapwood and can bite a chunk right off.  And yew is so light that the mass in unnoticeable.

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 12:07:17 pm »
There's also the pin or post nock which has worked well for me and is a walk in the park to make compared with grooves.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 01:20:20 pm »
If you have tip overlays on you can reduce the tips evenmore with no risk; that might save you more weight than you'd put on with the overlays! Besides the fact that I like to look at them, I don't think there is a necessity to have them on (except on yew), even if you use FF flemish strings.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 07:33:45 am »
I only add anything onto the tip for decoration really, all my own bows have self nocks. I'll put on horn for decorative purposes if the bow is for someone else, but I don't think it's actually needed.
The actual force on the nock is just in shear, there is no leverage so it doesn't need much timber.
Each to his own, and they do look pretty.
Same thing goes for grips, my bows are just smooth timber, but some folk want leather.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 07:54:14 am »
Del, it's right what you say, and I can enjoy every sort of finish from plain wood to fully painted!
Frank from Germany...

radius

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 01:45:10 pm »
so far i've never painted one, i'm a woodgrain fanatic.  and i don't go for handle wraps or even arrow rests on stave bows.  i know lots of guys go into a huge ordeal for the handle, and they look great, but i can't get into it.  same with snakeskins.  BUT...i think tip overlays are often the way to go.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 10:19:08 am »
Man them are some beautiful tips.I like them a lot. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good