Author Topic: Question for dog owners  (Read 4371 times)

Offline Swamp Bow

Re: Question for dog owners
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 08:35:39 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I'll probably use the tarp method.  I'm not as paranoid about glass and such as my family.  If they see broken glass they just about call in a medivac chopper to haul their dog 50 miles away just to be sure.  I just don't want a large pile of really sharp flakes for the dog to run through because the ball just bounced through it.  The universe goes away for that dog when the tennis ball is being thrown.

I'm a jeans and boots guy.  Between the fire ants, cows, chickens, barbed wire, and my clumsiness it's just self preservation.  Be careful with the docksiders. Those were all I used to wear when I lived in town.  I'd forget to put something else on and fire up the welder.  I have burn scares all over the tops and bottoms of my feet.  Once docksiders get nice and broken in the sides flare, great for catching slag that then rolls to the bottom of the shoe.  Kinda interesting to try and curl your foot up to keep the molten metal away from you and keep welding because "you're almost done".  ::)
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 08:50:43 pm »
I hear ya on the welding. The biggest burn scars I have are on the top of my feet also. When the slag burns through your jeans and drops down in your boot you just can't curl that foot up small enough or get the boot off quick enough. I've got several on my arms of the "almost done type" too ;D youch!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 08:58:41 pm »
Dogs are a lot tougher than you'd think. I've actually seen my dog curl up in my debitage pile and go to sleep. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cracker

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 09:16:13 am »
Cowboy heard you on the foot burns I got one that is healing now it's really interesting when a ball of slag goes down your overall bib and finds captain winky. Had to go after that one immedietly.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline StevenT

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 11:43:20 am »
I guess doing it barefooted is keeping it primitive!   ;D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 04:58:09 pm »
Several years ago I was at the Glass Butte knappin and there was a bush man and his wife there that were the most primitive couple that I've ever seen. They wore complete buckskin outfits all year and no shoes all year Their feet looked like gorilla feet. Lulyn and I watched in shock as the guy stood up from knapping by the big pile of shards and strolled right through the middle of it. He wasn't doing it to show off he just didn't even give it a thought or concern. Witnessing that,  I have come to the conclusion that the Native's feet were allot tougher then we can imagine. ::)