Author Topic: a question about backing  (Read 1870 times)

Offline KShip85

a question about backing
« on: November 07, 2009, 12:03:29 pm »
I am working on an American hornbeam shorty and have scraped the bark off but still have a thick layer of cambium in places.  My question is do I need to try and remove as much as I can before applying a backing or just sand it smooth and proceed on.  I am thinking of backing it with cotton or silk, thanks for the help!

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline Kegan

Re: a question about backing
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 12:09:37 pm »
If the cabmium breaks, so long as there is enough backing-wood surface contact you should be fine(I'm guessing you mean something like cloth, and not wood). I did a cotton backed hickory like that a few years ago. The backing never came off, even when the bow broke.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 12:19:54 pm »
The cambium is the only actual living layer in the tree, and in my experience, it's full of moisture. Therefore, I like to remove it, so the stave can dry. I don't think it hurts to leave it, but it'll take longer to dry.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 02:19:28 pm by adb »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 02:02:09 pm »
Remove most the cambium but you can leave some on for decoration. The problem with an solid cambium back is if it cracks so will the wood below. Smaller islands of cambium will give you a cool camo effect and not affect the bow.
  Also, here is no need to back a self bow unless you have issues with the back; violated grain, bad knots or grain swirls, etc. The ring under the cambium is way stronger than any backing you would put on it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline KShip85

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 05:00:20 pm »
Yeah, I know a backing is probably not necessary, but I am a little timid after the cedar bow blew up and just about took out my right eye.  I've got another short stave, just this time it is american hornbeam, which I have heard some good things about.  It will probably come in under 48 inches ntn, so I am a little worried about it blowing on me too, although I hope it would not be as violent as the cedar.  Mostly I think my point in backing is to reduce collateral damage if it does go.  Thanks for the input on the cambium though, I will try to scrape as much as the cambium as I can, but this stuff has earned its name as muscle wood, the undulations in the back are incredible.  Looks like a sinewy runners calf muscle.  Thanks again all, I'll see what I can do with it.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN