Author Topic: Assymetrical limb layout question with pictures.  (Read 1889 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Assymetrical limb layout question with pictures.
« on: October 28, 2009, 05:07:53 pm »
I'm laying out a yew bow with the instructions from the TBB vol 1.  It says to mark the "center of the bow" with a mark 1" above the center of the splice.  This will make the top limb 1" longer than the bottom.  If I do this, then measure the limb length from this "center" mark and make them both the same it seemes to make the top limb 2" longer.  This is, if I measure from from the lines representing the fades which are 4" from the center of the splice.  Am I missing something?  Or making it more commplicated than it has to be?  Thanks for any help.

Rick

[attachment deleted by admin]
Traverse City, MI

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: Assymetrical limb layout question with pictures.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 05:10:56 pm »
Here is a bigger pic of the drawing in the book.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Traverse City, MI

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 05:54:07 pm »
Don't be a slave to the 'book' measurements.
Mark the geometric centre, decide where you want the arrow and your hand to be relative to that,and work from there.
The arrow/hand position may be fine tuned or even turned upside down as you progress if the tillering dictates it.
You can't make a Yew longbow with a straight edge and a ruler, anyway with a longbow it's not as critical as a shorter flat style.
Sure you'll want to be checking thickness with your calipers and taking measurements, but never go by measurements alone, especially once it's roughed out.
Go by look and feel. I had a guy at the club saying his ash bow was developing a hinge as he was tillering it. Even unstrung you could feel it, I said shut your eyes and run your fingers down it, you can feel the thin spot, he was surpried by this, he'd not been using all his senses.
Sorry if that sounds pretentious :-[
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dano

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 06:05:36 pm »
I have to admit the book is very unclear on this. I just re read that section,  I think you use the old center for the bottom limb and the new center for the top limb. This way you accomplish the balance an asymmetrical bow is designed for.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 08:52:12 pm »
The center of your splice can't be the dimensional center of your bow with a 1" above center arrow pass. I think that's whats got you confused.  No way to cover your splice with a wrap or leather. That would that a minimum of a 2" above center arrow pass.

You going to have to move the center of your bow up to the "arrow pass mark " you now have and lay your pass off from there.

For you information, that 1" above arrow pass is suitable for a low contact/straight wrist grip. Is that how you grip your bows? ART