Author Topic: best target arrow setup  (Read 4817 times)

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
best target arrow setup
« on: October 24, 2009, 11:07:02 pm »
hey all, im in the process of making an elb to shoot an at home York round. probably not going to join the BLBS right yet, but i am planning on doing some local target shoots too. my question is, what would you all do to make the PERFECT target arrow. im already planning on using POC, but after that im still undecided. so what would you do? barrell tapered? paralell? footed? fletch size? anything else im not thinking of?

im going to give these things all ive got, so anything that would make a perfect target arrow im willing to do.

thanks!
Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: best target arrow setup
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 11:26:10 pm »
Breast tapered(nock end) arrows with white or gray feathers cut in a P&Y shape and tied on with linen or silk thread. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 08:20:31 pm »
well Ive already got an idea about the color of the fletch, probably blue and white with a blue splice in the white cock feather. you would suggest breast tapered over barrel, is there any particular reason? and if the barrel isn't any better than breast, than what is the whole point to barrel tapering? not refuting, just wondering.

also i was wondering about the practiality of inlaid nocks. would it be better to use the plastic jobies in case i bust them? or is repairing inlaid nocks not that hard?

and what about footing? would it be better to foot them to make them a little more durable. and what effect would that have on the flight?

man im asking alot of questions, sorry about that, thats the way adult ADD works. i get my mind on something and thats the only thing i can think about!

Phil

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 08:46:22 pm »
76 other lookers and not one other expert? hmmm

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 08:54:05 pm »
I'm no expert, but like Pat said...breast tapered POC is hard to beat.
 I like low cut 5" feathers with a slight offset.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 09:43:00 pm »
  I would use Tonkin. Sand all the nodes smooth with the shaft. They are naturally, barreled tapered.  Match all arrows by weight, and spine. Tune all your arrows, bare-shaft. Then put on 5",  P&Y fletching.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 10:45:43 pm »
i wasnt mad guys, i just know that if there is a stalled topic, that that kind of response will get some takers  :P sorry  ;D

Saw Filer, the more i think about it, the more that sounds good. ill probably go with a smaller fletch though, cause all im going to be pushing is field points, and i could use the less drag for the 100 yard shots.

Mullet, i would like to make a set of tonkin shafts too, but for my purposes here, i think im gonna use POC. maybe for my next bow, thats what ill go with.

again, sorry for gettin you guys like that...no hard fealins i hope ;D

Phil

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 12:16:36 am »
Barrel tapered will give you a lighter arrow(physically) but keep your spine weight up.  A breast taper is simpler(only a rear taper) and your physical weight remains high. For target the barreled taper may be preferred.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 10:11:02 am »
well that does change the equation. are there any disadvantages to barrel tapered?

Offline markinengland

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 11:13:58 am »
For target shooting you want a set of arrows that;
A - perform the same
B - suit your bow and shooting style
C - will reach the distance you want to shoot at.

You may not achieve all of these on your first try.

A set of shafts that are straight and well matched for spine and mass is a very good start but hard to achieve with most UK shaft suppliers. You can't really expect either A or B without straight and matched shafts.  Carol Edwards offers a good service if you can get to her workshop for good quality and well matched arrows and components. Buying a set of arrows from her may be a good investment because you will then know what works well for you and be able to make your own similar ones tweaked to your final requirments.

You don't need long fletchings for target shooting. 3 inch fletchings are long enough. Longer will slow your arrow too much down range and you may not reach the distance or have to aim into the heavens and hope! A hardwood footing will help add weight to the front of the shaft which makes for more consistent shooting as well as making breakage at the pile less likely. You don't necessarily need to taper the whole of the shaft. Just tapering the last 10 inches of the shaft will make a difference without making too much of a confusing difference to spine.

You can play a little with the point weight to get good flight.

For target shooting I think that plastic nocks make sense. They are consistent and if damaged when you get them all in the gold they can be replaced easily and quickly.

Don't forget to tweak your bow for good stable target performance. Steady handle, a little bit of shot in set, light narrow tips. A string that is not too skinny and light but is not too thick and heavy either.

Barrel taper gives maximum spine and minimum weight and has most advantage at extreme range like in clout shooting or flight shooting. Most target archers use parallel shafts.

It may not be worth worrying too much about making the ULTIMATE arrows until you are the ultimate archer. Good arrows are enough until you are too good for them and most of us never reach that point!

Regards,

Mark in England

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 11:39:57 am »
beautiful. thanks Mark, this is exactly the kind of information i was looking for. there is an arrow maker just the next town over from me, and i believe he will be able to supply me with whatever i need. but thanks for the contact anyway.

Phil

Offline markinengland

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 06:41:05 pm »
Access to a set of target arrows in varying spine ratings would help. Shoot them and see which goes best and buy that spine ratings to make up into arrows.