Author Topic: Sinew from a Strap?  (Read 3410 times)

Offline dwardo

Sinew from a Strap?
« on: October 23, 2009, 06:39:02 am »
Hi all,

I fancy having a go at a shortie sinew backed bow. I asked my local butcher if he could get hold of some sinew.
He said that he doesnt really leg sinew but does get teh "strap" from the shoulders/back of beef.
So the question is will it do the trick ?

Cheers, Leon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Sinew from a Strap?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 07:20:40 am »
Probably not the best for backing a bow but I am sure it would work.Never used any cow sinew. :)
I have heard even the leg sinew is really greasy.You will want to clean it good.I am sure someone will chime in that has used it and give you the good and bad of using it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 09:40:21 am »
I've never used cow sinew but will be backing a bow with deer back strap sinew. Give it a try and let us know how it works. That could be a good source of sinew for those that can't find deer sinew. The strands of back strap sinew are very long so they should make good binding material for arrows and bow repair if not backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 09:43:58 am »
LEON GOOD DAY!  IT IS GREASY HAVE TO PREP IT GOOD DRY THE HELL OUTA IT I NEVER USED IT IN PARTICULAR BUT I HAVE FEALT IT AND PEALED ITS FIBERS IT WILL WORK FOR SUREAND U CAN GET SOME PRETTY BIG PIECES!!!

CHEERS!!!

Offline shikari

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 10:41:36 am »
The koreans use cow sinew and so did the turks in their bows,would advise washing it in acetone to remove the grease.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 10:49:53 am »
Cheers for the help all.

Its frozen at the moment so how is it best dried out?
The oven maybe on very very low for a long time, or do i just let it dry in the garage naturally?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 11:12:43 am »
No need to freeze. It will air dry in a day or so. Place it on a piece of wax paper or alum foil and set it in the sun or on the top of the frig, out of reach of any pets or other animals.
  If you have dawn dish soap it will work very well to de-grease and is more compatible with the sinew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dwardo

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 11:44:51 am »
Thanks again all.

I will leave outside in a net to keep the bugs off, Oh and hanging from the washing line to keep the dog off  ::)

Its pure torture for the dog she is jsut sat there watching it.:)

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 11:51:50 am »
Hey be careful that the buzzards , crows, or any local pests might not be trying to get at it!!!l LOL u might want to check in on it now and again!!!

Cheers!!!

Offline dwardo

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 12:11:54 pm »
Hey be careful that the buzzards , crows, or any local pests might not be trying to get at it!!!l LOL u might want to check in on it now and again!!!

Cheers!!!

Ill keep the rifle handy, may even end up with some fletchings too >:D

Another related question please  ::) What glue do you guys in the UK use ? I have never seen TightBond in any of our shops..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 12:29:05 pm »
Hide glue or unflavored gelatin(refined, food grade hide glue) is the best. In the US Knox makes the unflavored gelatin.

Offline Cromm

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 02:40:16 pm »
PM sent to you.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.