Author Topic: last bow of the season, for my bride to be  (Read 4672 times)

radius

last bow of the season, for my bride to be
« on: November 02, 2009, 12:41:38 am »
she said she wanted "a pretty recurve, that is easy to shoot".   I don't know how this stave escaped my notice, a couple months ago when i started working with this yew.  Comparatively speaking, it is free of knots.  But it is almost evenly ridged, as the pictures show, and i think it kinda looks like batwings.  This one being for Helen, you can make of that what you will!

It's 62 or 64 inches in length, can't recall, and pulls 40# @ 28".  Helen is a few inches shorter than me, i think, so she will probly pull it to 25 or 26.  I am sad to say this bow has a serious flaw.  Maybe i won't even give it to her, just hide it and make another.  It has a thin spot just out of the lower limb's recurved section, which was just how the stave came off the log.  To compensate, i left that part wider than i would have, but still it bends overmuch, especially in comparison to the other limb, where the single large knot in the bow stiffens the bow as you will see. 

Even so, it shoots arrows pretty fast and is easy to shoot.  Is it pretty?  I think so...but i like Mine better!

She and i have never shot together.  But this woman is damn competitive!  We play foosball all the time and she kicks ass!  She'll probly be a fine archer.

The bow was recurved in the same form that i used in recurving the bow for her father.  It gives the stave a natural deflex/recurve which gives an easy draw and a fast release.  She's gonna love it.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: last bow of the season, for my bride to be
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 08:08:09 am »
hey, it looks pretty good to me, sometimes we are too perfectionist, a bow which isn't perfect may cause less heartache if she does't get on with it/drives the car over it etc. :o
After all it's the imperfections which make our bows and our partners interesting (little bit of philosophy there ::)).
I took my stupidly long bow (89") to the club last week everyone was shooting it, they thought it was great...one guy was giving me advice on finishing it...D'uh, it's not a finisher, it was just a bit of fun to keep me out of mischief (it would make a good tent pole).
It was predictably smooth but sluggish, I thought it was pants, and that's the point, what is flawed to one man is great to someone else.
You'll have plenty more bows to make her when she gets into it.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 09:41:49 am »
Very nice. I'm sure she will enjoy it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 09:52:11 am »
It looks great. Tell her it is like you. It might not be perfect, but if she can see past a couple of minor blemishes she will be very happy and it will take care of her for many years to come.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 10:00:23 am »
Radius,
Nice bow, I'll bet she will like it. I am a little worried that Justin is just an alias. Sounds like Dr. Phil is on our forum! LOL
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

radius

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 10:02:10 am »
yeah it's like an advice column for lovers....

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 02:49:02 pm »
Great looking bow. Bookmarked, too.
A word, though. I made my wife a bow. The first time she shot it, the string snapped her boobs. That was the end of that :(
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 03:06:58 pm »
Dr. Phil says: Don't shoot a bow if you have big boobs....else you'll end up with red string lines on your boobies....
Marietta, Georgia

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 04:10:51 pm »
That's why the Amazons cut of their left boob as the myth goes!
Frank from Germany...

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 07:45:46 pm »
That's why the Amazons cut of their left boob as the myth goes!
Wow, I think I would go for a wife that doesn't shoot instead. ;D  Seriously, that is a fine looking bow.  I'm sure your wife to be would be very happy with it, knowing that you made it for her.
Traverse City, MI

radius

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 01:05:37 am »
A word, though. I made my wife a bow. The first time she shot it, the string snapped her boobs. That was the end of that :(

hmm...helen is pretty stacked...maybe have to bind her breasts down with tight cloth?

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 01:22:57 am »

hmm...helen is pretty stacked...maybe have to bind her breasts down with tight cloth?

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.  haha
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 01:22:51 pm »
Old Bow Im book marking for this month the comment about ur wife snapping her boobs with the string that is hillarious I can see me wife doing that!  My son shot his little recurve I made him and snapped his forearm the look on his face he turned around looked at me and said "U IDIOT" hes only 7 and normally dont talk like that but the look on his face and him saying that was funny! Id like to get that up on youtube I have it on my phone! 

8)Radius that bow has some nice character I had to post on ur threads cause u never cease to amaze me with ur work!  Gimme time and hopefully I can quit a few jobs soon and I'll get some quality time to make a few myself...Id like to have a bow throw down with u one day!!!

CHEERS!
Russ/Venom

radius

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 11:55:37 pm »
thanks Russ...i definitely love making bows!   But i don't make em all the time.  When i do, i go crazy with it...the mad bowmaker.  But i'm probly good for at least a year...who knows.  Still gonna pick up that yew!