Author Topic: splitting osage logs  (Read 2249 times)

Offline luke the drifter

splitting osage logs
« on: September 29, 2009, 09:36:55 pm »
hello everybody,

i have a log cut down.  it is about 8 to 10 inches on the small end and 10 to 12 possibly more depending on how you look at it.  i have determined that one side of it will not do for staves.  the center split/crack does not run the direction of the good side of the log.  my question is this- will it be more difficult to split the log opposite this center split/crack  or should i take my chances and split the log the way the split goes and hope for the best?  secong question- which end do you split first?

Offline criverkat

• David Hilborn
Re: splitting osage logs
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 09:42:37 pm »
build a bow build a arrow Knapp some flint cook some rock now thats fun

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 09:45:07 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,11969.0.html  look here this should help good luck
my log does not look near as good as those logs.  i started drooling when i saw those good looking logs.

Offline criverkat

• David Hilborn
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 09:57:31 pm »
yea me to  you could not go wrong with his logs i think i would pass out if i got hold of a log that good pass out from sheer excitement
build a bow build a arrow Knapp some flint cook some rock now thats fun

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 11:11:24 pm »
What is wrong with the "bad" side of the log?  ???  Unless it is rotten, it should make a bow.
  I'm assuming the crack is a drying check in the end of the log. You can split it across that check. You don't necessarily have to split it in the check.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline yazoo

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 11:26:03 pm »
show us a photo,   today was a good day here in tn to split osage, cool with alittle wind blowing, I split about 50 staves today,,soon as the leaves drop I will start cutting again,
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far