Author Topic: Help IDing on antique selfbow.  (Read 4006 times)

loosenock

Help IDing on antique selfbow.
« on: November 22, 2009, 11:02:48 am »
I got this antique selfbow yesterday from an antique store.  It is about 68 inches in length.  The sap wood averages about 3/16 to 1/4 in thick.  The limbs are lively and it is a sound bow.  I shot it a couple of times at partial draw.  It is very smooth and has a fast cast.  I would think it would draw about 40#'s.  But I dont want to risk breakage, it will be a collection queen.

The wood has a wonderful patina to it.  You can see chatter marks from the scraper.

Anyone care to guess the age or wood type?  Any help or comment would be appreciated.

Thanks

Loosenock

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Help IDing on antique selfbow.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 11:08:53 am »
I'd say it is definitely yew and guessing the age from the 1940s or 1950s.  Be very careful drawing this bow without slowly reeducating the wood to bend. It would be a shame to have it break.
  For me, it's historical value outweighs being able to shoot it.
   Are there no markings on it that might help identify it? Will you post a full length pic of both the back and side unbraced view?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 11:57:26 am »
Pat is right it is definitely yew wood. How about some pics of the whole bow so we can get a better look at the style. Nice find and like Pat said go very slow if your going to shoot it and I would also agree that It should be set aside for The value of such a find. 

loosenock

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 12:11:36 pm »
Thanks Pat, Keenan

The bow will not be shot.  I am in total agreement with you about leaving it the way it is.  Here are a couple of more pics.  Trying to get the whole bow in looses alot of the character and detail.  It seems like it would be better served if I took a mosaic set of pictures down the side.

You help is very appreciated, thanks much.

Loosenock

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 12:55:10 pm »
 Yes loosenock a mosaic set of pics up close down the whole of the bow would be great. Without the bow having any Identifying marks it hard to say for sure. Any other info about origin would also help. I see your in the Denver area. Do you know if the bow has always been in that area? Any info as to how the antique store acquired it?
  Needless to say it a very nice find and would be a great addition to anyones collection.

loosenock

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 01:41:31 pm »
Yes loosenock a mosaic set of pics up close down the whole of the bow would be great. Without the bow having any Identifying marks it hard to say for sure. Any other info about origin would also help. I see your in the Denver area. Do you know if the bow has always been in that area? Any info as to how the antique store acquired it?
  Needless to say it a very nice find and would be a great addition to anyones collection.

Keenan I wish there was some mark of somesort, but it is pretty plane Jane.  I forgot to mention that the bow is not backed.  No information from the antique store.  It was dusty with some dried paint spatter that just popped off with gentle thumb nail  pressure.  A couple of dirt or mud stains than were easily removed with a  lightly damp (almost dry) cloth.  I rubbed it with the palm of my hand (no oil or polish) and a little of the sheen came out.

If I get a chance I'll see if I can get a set of mosiac  at a quartering view.

Again thanks for your help and interest in find.

Loosenock

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 02:16:50 pm »
incredible find!  I am always on the look out when I go to flea markets and antique malls for stuff like this, rarely ever find anything a quarter as cool as this.  Mind asking how much it costed?  Whatever you paid was probably not near as much as it is worth to a bowyer.   8)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

loosenock

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 03:09:53 pm »
Josh, I'm like you.  I am always on the look out for good 'ol vintage and historic stuff.  Sometimes your efforts are rewarded.   What I paid for it?  Well... it was probably a little more than an upscale hamburger but a lot less than a steak.

Here is a full length mosaic set of pictures for those interested.

The top of the bow is at 68 inches on the tape measure.

Thanks for your help in Iding this ol' bow.

Loosenock

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 03:47:57 pm »
  Hey I will trade you an upscale hamburger AND a steak for it...  >:D   ;D  -josh 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 03:54:07 pm »
That's one sweet looking Yew bow...
I bet it's happy to have found a new owner.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.