Author Topic: cracks in splice  (Read 2182 times)

Offline wvbowhntr

cracks in splice
« on: August 29, 2009, 03:59:36 pm »
I just spliced my first bow on the inside v of the splice it has a small crack following the grain, i guess it wasn't a perfect fit.  I'm going to sinew back the bow and was wondering if i would wrap the handle in sinew if that would make the splice stronger?
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: cracks in splice
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 04:06:08 pm »
Can you post pics of the crack. You can probably fill it with super glue and be OK.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 04:58:24 pm »
Its wrapped up and clamped right now i used locktite 5-min epoxy for the splice and i made sure i pushed glue into the crack. i may post a pic tomarrow when i unclamp it.
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 01:15:31 am »
I doubt that this is your problem, but I have had horrible luck with locktite epoxy. I have had two bow handle splices loosen and crack and finally give out using locktite five minute epoxy, I won't use it again. My favorite is Devcon 30 minute at least I think that's the name.
SW Utah

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 01:52:47 am »
I have had bad luck with the locktite extra time epoxy as well. For me it never hardened properly.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 10:04:32 am »
Jmilbrandt - The problem with your Loctite was that it was 5 minute. Go with the 30 every time, unless your using Urac 185 or Resorcinol.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 03:45:02 pm »
 I glued up two sets of Billets with Loctite epoxy and it never got hard. I got to the point of being rubbery and quit. It was a nasty mess to redo.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 09:54:30 am »
I like Loctite products, but I'll second the Devcon as good stuff. I'm a maint. tech, and I've used about every kind of specialty adhesive out there. Loctite seems very sensitive to getting the 1:1 ratio measured right (gotta make sure you have enough hardener) and mixed really well.