Author Topic: dry ?  (Read 3494 times)

Offline knap_123

dry ?
« on: September 15, 2009, 10:20:47 am »
i cut some red oak last jan.  (8 mths.)  and had it inside since then.  how long does it take for r.oak to be sufficently dry?   

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: dry ?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:26:51 am »
depends on the thickness of the wood, the RH of your house, is the bark still on?  There are lots of factors that dictate how dry your wood is. The best thing I can tell you to do is go ahead and rough out a bow and get it to the floor tiller stage.  Let it sit another month or two and then proceed with tillering.   When you start carving on it you will be able to tell if it is still wet.    :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:32:12 am »
Post us a photo of it John.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 01:14:03 pm »
Like Josh said, you'll know how wet it is when you start working. Recently, I went from tree to shooting selfbow in about a month and a half by drying the immediately roughed out hickory bow in a car. However, I also have some hickory I cut over a year ago that still is green ????

Offline knap_123

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 01:42:01 pm »
thanks, i got this one roughed out ands it feels like it has some wet/dry places, so iu'll let it set awhile longer

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 04:09:44 pm »
If it was left in the round(a log) and with bark on it could take years. A rule of thumb for air drying wood is 1" per year(if you have a 2" thick board it will take 1 year; 1" each way from the center).  By reducing it to near bow dimensions you can speed up this process.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline knap_123

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 04:53:11 pm »
thanks pat, i'll have to remeber that.  i might put this in the truck wich stays parked in the sun.  i have some nice dry osage that i got from ridgerunner that i need to work.  and a lot that will have to season.

Grunt

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 10:19:41 pm »
General rule is 1 year per inch of thickness for air dry. Bow wood needs to be dried below ambient temp so find a way of driving some of that moisture out. Be gentle with though.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 09:43:32 am »
If you have a hot box built. (Insulated plywood box with 4 ceramic light fixtures hooked up to a dimmer switch) You can take your roughed out stave and put it in there "on low" and weigh the stave on a regular basis (every other day or whatever) When it quits losing weight at a certain humidity, you can go ahead and consider it dry enough. My box has one of those home weather stations mounted to it, with the sensor inside. I have a chart attached to the side of my box to give me that number, but I'm not home right now. Personally, I believe that if your humidity is fairly stable, and you bow stops losing weight, you can work on it. If you're worried about the humidity, then throw it back in the box each night.

Offline MaceG

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 02:09:11 pm »
Bow wood needs to be dried below ambient temp...

Why? Never heard that before.
Set happens - Jawge

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 06:14:05 pm »
ya i aint never heard that "dried below ambient temp" before either

how does one get it below ambient temp.
i live in mn.i cut hhb in the winter time.
how am i supposed to dry wood below ambient temp,when the ambient temp can be as low as neg 30 or colder???
dont have a deep freeze available for this purpose,hel half the year the state is a deep freeze lol

i am guessing he meant "at ambient temp",but i could be wrong
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Grunt

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 07:43:39 pm »
I guess this is what happens when I start using fancy words. I meant won't lose any more moisture just sitting around. Here in the NC mountains most air dried wood is stored outside under cover at saw mills and is about at about 10-12% moisture content after a year. After 10 days in the dry kiln it is 6-7%. 

Offline gmc

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 08:30:39 pm »
Knap:
 Good advice here. I would add to always clamp down the wet wood and leave it a bit wider at the start to help prevent twist. Use several clamps, one off each fade, midpoint and both tips seem to help. As nearly stated, 7 to 10 days @ 95 F in a constant air flow of 25% to 30% RH will do the trick on Hickory slimmed pretty close to floor tiller. If you plan working with wet wood please consider building a hot box. The key to quick drying wood is constant, dry air flow which can be accomplished quite easily with a hot box. Doesn't cost much to make, either. Does this one get one of those fine copperhead hides?
Central Kentucky