Author Topic: fletching jig question  (Read 3194 times)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
fletching jig question
« on: September 19, 2009, 06:12:57 pm »
hey guys I usual ask about anyone having designs for a new flethcing jig or whatnot, but I was wondering this time, Is there a more accurate way of tying on your fletches then a needle and and patience. Is there a jig to make the spacing more accurate?

what are your techniques for tying feathers. Mine are very tightly bound i try to go every 3rd ??vein?? whatever the individual parts of the feather are called. however I don't often have them come out evenly and i loose my patience and just finish the last quarter or third of the arrow quickly and the result works, and thats fine for just throwing around the yard at targets but they arent very pretty.

any help is always much appreciated.
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
Re: fletching jig question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 06:21:15 pm »
Yikes I dont know what I was thinking putting this here. Could the admin move this please to the arrows section for me.
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 02:11:02 pm »
I use thin thread- something like the inner strands of artfcila sinew or dental floss- and start with a slip knot at the fronts. I wrap them so that they all, loosely, lie straight on the shaft. then pinching the fronts down, I gently twist the back to get the helical. Then I run glue along the edges and wrap the front off tightly. After the glue dries, I pull the thread from inside the feathers and put a drop on the rear end. Just takes a little practice, but it works :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 02:26:46 pm »
There is a simple jig you can use to hold your feathers in place while you wrap them. Do a search for it. It is a piece of cardboard(etc) with a shaft sized hole in the center and a slot cut for each feather at the appropriate angle and distance apart(120 deg for a 3 fletch).
   On the 3 fletch below(far right), I didn't use a jig but marked the location with a pencil, then tied the rear of the feathers at the appropriate place for each, then did the same at the front end. I leave a short tag of quill at the front of each feather and when the wrap in done I'll pull each feather tight with the tag and add more wrapping to cover the tag for a smooth wrap.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC