Author Topic: There's nothing like a stave  (Read 8738 times)

Offline sailordad

Re: There's nothing like a stave
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 06:21:59 pm »
as long as you dant back a board with such things a bamboo etc
its still a self bow
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline J05H

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2009, 05:36:26 am »
as long as you dant back a board with such things a bamboo etc
its still a self bow

I know that. I'm just saying that, In my opinion, staves are more suited for self bows.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2009, 06:57:07 am »
Nothing wrong with boards,I love starves for selfbows and that's about all I make.You can make a fine bow from either.I have been pretty lucky,I have plenty of starves and have never had the need
for boards. I also can see the advantage in using a boards for someone that don't have the access
to staves,for us in the country it's not much of a problem but for others I understand.You can learn a lot from a board on tiller and lay out, witch will help you a lot when you get a good stave. I have to say as long as you are making bow from natural stuff you can't go wrong with either. To each there own ,the main thing is have fun with it. :) That is what this is all about. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2009, 08:13:16 am »
Deadend conversation as far as I'm concerned...I've never made a bow from a board, they've all been from staves that we cut, split, and seasoned ourselves. Yeah, there's work and satisfaction involved in those processes, but I don't do it that way just for the satisfaction of doing it the hard way....I turn right around and use a bandsaw to rough the bow in and don't feel a bit of guilt for it.

As long as you're making a bow, it doesn't matter what form the material is in...either board or stave. Everyone works with what is available to them, and/or what works for them. It's all wood, and we're all individuals, and different personalities that we all have are what makes us who we are. Just make a bow I say!

We should however in my humble opinion be more sensitive to others feelings...don't make comments that might suggest that a bow made from a board is somehow less of an accomplishment then one from a stave. The person that spent many hours pouring themselves into making a bow from a board would probably take offense to that. Just like a negative comment about a "pretty" bow being somehow less of a performer then a plainer bow could be offensive to the person that spent an extra 10-12 hours turning their plain bow into one they personally felt more pride about for the end result. Some folks prefer rugged or plain...others want to throw some artful unique features into their hobby...to each their own. Doesn't make either one wrong or right...just what the individual wanted. Either way, each is capable of making meat if hunting is what you do...which is the case with me by the way! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2009, 09:16:27 am »
but I don't do it that way just for the satisfaction of doing it the hard way....I turn right around and use a bandsaw to rough the bow in and don't feel a bit of guilt for it.

You always have been a rebel. I guess that is why we like you so much.  I think that is the joy of building your own bows. You can do whatever floats your boat. It doesn't have to be built to anyone else's specifications.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2009, 09:07:11 pm »
Could not have said it better if I spent a week writing it down Greg....you hit it right on the Head
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline MaceG

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2009, 09:15:48 pm »
Staves, boards, sissy bows, it's all good. ;D
Nothing wrong with a preference. And I think we all know that an opinion is just an opinion.
I don't think anybody took offense. I hope not.
It was just meant as a lighthearted observation. :)

Peace
Set happens - Jawge

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2009, 06:13:19 am »
 :) :)   Took it that way. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2009, 07:39:09 am »
Could not have said it better if I spent a week writing it down Greg....you hit it right on the Head
Thanks Michael...was just trying to make a point as tactfully as I could. I had been giving that topic some thought here lately and saw my chance...

I don't think anybody took offense. I hope not.
No offense taken by me Mace...I've learned over the years that there are folks involved with this website from all over the world living in a lot of different situations or just with their own personal preferences. I have access to a lot of wood, all of it staves...but that is not the case with a lot of folks. If they want to make a bow it's either a board bow or a fair size investment in a stave without knowing for sure in all cases of its quality. I respect anyone out there making bows and enjoying their hobby. We're all friends here with a common interest and it spands oceans and languages...I think that is pretty cool. It's kind of like a smile, universal meaning throughout the world...making a bow and sharing that interest with others is like that for me. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2009, 09:37:36 am »
Nice post, Greg. No offense taken here either. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2009, 09:47:54 pm »
greg you are a genius
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"