Author Topic: shelf  (Read 2283 times)

jb

shelf
« on: August 29, 2009, 04:04:42 pm »
hi JB seeking bow wisdom...will accuracy be improved if the handle was made big enough to allow the shelf to be cut to the centre of the bow so that the arrow is in line with the string and does not need to snake around the bow? anyinsights?

jb

Re: shelf
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 04:06:51 pm »
hi JB seeking bow wisdom...will accuracy be improved if the handle was made big enough to allow the shelf to be cut to the centre of the bow so that the arrow is in line with the string and does not need to snake around the bow? anyinsights?
no wind blows in favor of a ship without port of destination

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 04:10:35 pm »
A correctly spined arrow will put the shot where you are looking even having to go around the bow. You probably won't be able to cut the shelf for center shots but even if you could you will need correctly spined arrows. For some folks a shelf is desired and for some no shelf at all. You will have to play with all options and see what works best for you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jb

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 04:36:01 pm »
hey Pat..I don't know what correct spine means..are you referring to the arrow's stiffness

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 04:46:41 pm »
Yes he is refering to the spine (stiffness) of the arrow. It is measured with a spine tester. Spine is probably the most difficult parts of making arrows. Read this:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1910.msg23884.html
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

jb

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 04:51:55 pm »
thanx Justin I will read it

Offline woodstick

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 04:54:29 pm »
on my self bows i go under spined, say my bow pulls 55# i use a 45 to 50 spine. 
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

jb

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 05:08:11 pm »
thanx woodstick.. i will look into this..totally new for me