Author Topic: String question  (Read 6328 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: String question
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 05:02:56 pm »
I don't really believe there is any advantage in going with Fast Flite other than just a few feet per second in arrow speed.  The material has NO STRETCH and I think that jarring slam of the string coming home is shortening the life of your wood limbs.  (This is all my own arrogant and opinionated anectodal evidence speaking)  I think Dacro B50 at half the price of FF is just fine.  Just remember, you really don't need 18 strands for a 50# bow, drop down to 12 or 14 if you want to bump your arrow speed a little.

Fast Fliters feel free to fight back! O:)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 05:57:06 pm »
Fast flight will give you a few FPS over B50.

...and these few fps are energy given to the arrow and not remained in the bow, which means WAY less handshock; maybe not important for you, but for me, because I'm incredibly sensitive to it!
Frank from Germany...

Offline woodstick

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 08:30:18 pm »
whats a few feet per second? its not that big a deal. accuracy is #1. my 2 cents i would rather go with what works the best and i found b50. for me.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 09:56:50 pm »
Just to cool things off a bit.  I saw a great string made out of the skin of a turtle neck.  It beat the pants off of B 50, FF  or any synthetic. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 03:23:14 pm »
I have never heard anything against turtleneck rawhide strings, only good stuff.  Have also heard great things about woodchuck hides, too.  I got a couple of them living down the canyon from me, but have not had the heart to hurt one cuz they are kinda cute.  I was going to try jackrabbit hides but by the time I got them fleshed, all I had were tiny scraps and a lot of hair everywhere.

B50 gets my vote until I get these three antelope hides scraped down, then I am gonna try goat strings.  Fast Goat = Fast String?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Little John

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 10:17:40 pm »
I have had good luck with fast flight with osage bows and no overlays, no cutting off the tips after thousands of shots. I don't mind the extra few fps and a fast flight string will outlast B50 by 10-1. I love sinue strings for pure primitive. To each his own.     Kenneth   
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 10:45:43 pm »
FF  is  wonderful  on  some  of  my  bows  but  for  others  it causes  problems  and does  not  work, it also adds additional  stress to  the  bow  and some bows  might  not be  up  to  FF,
would  be  interesting to  see  if  any of the  hardcore  primitive shooters  are  able  to  make  and  use truly primitive  string  material,  string is an often under-appreciated modern  development:)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:32:15 pm by ZanShen »
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 11:21:02 pm »
I wouldn't mind seeing a "how to" on string making with sinew and or rawhide...
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Little John

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 11:45:32 pm »
Yea lots of primitive archers are able to make and use truly primitive strings, gives a whole new feel to primitive. There is a build along in the how to's by Jackcrafty, and I made mine from it. If you can make a string you can make a sinue string, if you have all day.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell