Author Topic: Chert  (Read 2506 times)

jojo2676

Chert
« on: August 07, 2009, 11:26:43 am »
I got my hands on some chert from up by the Tennessee River. I know it needs to be heat treated but is there anyone out there that can give me instructions on how to do it? Maybe someone that has used this material before?

Thanks,
Joey

Offline Jaeger

Re: Chert
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 09:04:17 pm »
dont know anything about heating rocks but I was driving  today and saw some rocks in a cut of the hill for the road and I took a small one home and it broke pretty good with the bopper so I am going to go back and try to get some rocks big enough to chip.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 10:52:21 pm »
Depending on where you were, it could be Buffalo River, Ft. Payne, Dover or Sonora chert.  If it is Dover, it can be knapped raw.  Bill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 09:16:14 am »
 If it is the Chocolate looking color I heat it at 400dgs in a small toaster oven over night.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline knap_123

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 12:47:37 am »
8 hrs dry time 450 cook time for about 8 and cut the cooker off. some fort payne needs much higher temps depends on the quality.  if its black dont cook it!

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 06:12:22 pm »
like knapp123 said if its black dont cook it. but the other cook it at about 500* for 5-8hrs.
 All the chert in West T.N is Ft.Payne  but it comes in diff forms. Buf river , Dover , Horse creek.. just to name a few. and sometimes you can find all in the same creek. most all Ft.Payne chert can be heated except Dover chert.. your dover chert will be a dark gray of black.
Mililani Hawaii