Author Topic: making bow strings out of artificial sinew  (Read 9376 times)

Offline II BYRDS

making bow strings out of artificial sinew
« on: August 18, 2009, 09:48:23 am »
okay guy's you know i am new at this. so the question is does anyone know what the tensile strength is of the fake stuff ??? so do i make a Flemish type bow string out of the fake sinew or what?????

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: making bow strings out of artificial sinew
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:55:49 am »
I heard that it has too much stretch to make a good bowstring.... I could be wrong though.  Maybe someone else will chime in soon.  Good luck!!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline smokeu

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:13:40 am »
Its the only thing i have used for string this far, i just twist two bundles like cordage and braid in loops, they seem to work good for me though i have not compared them to anything else... I have never shot a bow till i made one. Once they get stretched out they seem fine to me. I am sure some will say thats not right but there are some who use it. I have one on a 65lb bow i made and it shoots good.

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline JustAim

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 11:01:50 am »
The fake sinew has a breaking strength of 70# and can be used for a bow string with no problems at all. l have used it before and it worked fine even for 75/80# bow but it stretched quite a bit. Go ahead and use it if you want. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 08:26:33 pm by JustAim »

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 04:28:39 pm »
I've used it a time or two, really stretchy. Most art. sinew is waxed nylon thread. You can get a spool of B-50 dacron for about the same price as the artificial sinew, and you'll be much happier with the strings.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 06:16:57 pm »
I've tried it... too stretchy.

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 07:53:28 pm »
Like said, it's just waxed nylon, kind of like dental floss ,only larger dia. Buy some Tan or bronze , dacron, looks and works a whole lot better. Both are man made. By using the artificial, you are robbing the performance of that fine bow you just built. Kinda of like putting Acme tires, from Wiley Coyote, on you Caddy! Nothing wrong with learning on this type material, but if you can step up to the newer materials , do so! Then go for F.F.... Good shootin, Steve

Offline Boofus

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 03:17:03 pm »
just get b-50 dacron, i used to use artificial sinew but it was like putting a bunge cord on a bow.

Offline TBod

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 03:46:59 pm »
If you go from high stretch to low stretch string, the draw weigt increases or the draw length decreases. I tillered a bow using a nylon string then switch to B-50 and that happened.

Thats my experience anyway..