Author Topic: tillering trees  (Read 6176 times)

Offline david w.

tillering trees
« on: June 13, 2007, 01:05:47 pm »
i dont know if this is the right place to post this but could someone tell me how to make a tillerring tree. im about ready to tiller my first bow.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: tillering trees
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 01:24:52 pm »
It's not that hard to do.I will show you some pictures of mine,Tillering and tillering sticks and you will get the idea.Someone can probably explane it better than I.
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 01:27:37 pm »
thanks. i think i will substitute the notches for a couple of nails.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 01:30:52 pm »
There is a pulley at the bottom of the board that the rope goes through wit a t handle .you put your bow on top and hook the scale to it and stand back and pull.The stick is used only until
you get it out far enough to get it braced ,then go to the tree.Be sure and not pull it passed the weight you want and just keep pulling little by little working out the flaws as you go till you get the draw weight and draw length you want.Hope this helps some. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

duffontap

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 01:32:11 pm »
I have a friend who built a tillering stick with concrete form 'duplex' nails that looked pretty cool.

J. D. Duff

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 01:38:38 pm »
Never thought about that JD but sounds simpler that cutting the notches.Just make sure the nails anr in deep. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jbell

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 01:09:12 am »
I use my tree like a stick, I have 3/8 holes drilled every inch for a 3/8 dowel to go in, works great. I would also suggest using a tillering guage or some of us call it a" walkie talkie", cause it tells you where you have hinges or where your bow is flat. works very well with board bows and backed bows because they are usually without humps, dips and snakes. Basically it is just a piece of 3/4" square stock, about 4-6 inches long and has a hole drilled in it jut big enough to fit a pencil in. It is real easy to use just get your tillerin string on and hook it on a few inches down or just enough to bend the limbs, then put your pencil down to the lowest setting and run you stick up and down each limb, if you have a spot that is bending faster than the rest of the limb you will see a gap between the stick and bow. Next step, push the pencil down until it almost touches the bow, then run the stick back down the limb and where the pencil marks are scrape some wood off, say 20 strokes, do this until both limbs are bending evenly down to your chosen brace heigth, after that you should be able to just chase weight to your desired draw length. Sorry I am being long winded but this works very well. Hope this helps you some and here is a picture of the walkie talkie.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Justin Blunt

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 10:29:21 am »
Jbell I have one of those a guy gave me at the Classic,I had always used a 3 in.straight edge
to run the belly and mark it but that seems to work better now that I have got use to it.At
least in the early stages,I don't like to hold them back long once I pull them passed brace so I
usually do that by eye and mark it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline david w.

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 07:10:19 pm »
i finished my tillering tre etoday.  Its looks really good it turned out better than i thought :o.  I used 3/8 wooden dowels.  my dad has tons of vices so im going to mount the tree in a vice or two.  Thanks for replying it helped alot.  I cant work on my bow until next week, because my strings havent come in yet. im going to start making my own.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 07:07:47 am »
Ya if you are going to make bows you have to learn to make strings. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 07:47:36 am »
Yep, making a string isn't that hard. As far as a tillering string, I usually use clothesline rope from Walmart, and don't put an "official" string on it until it's tillered and shooting.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 07:16:33 pm »
OK, I'm the last old dog to build a tiller tree with a pulley at the bottom.  My local hardware/lumber place had a pile of "Sad Sack" 2x4's for about $1.20 each.   Just the ticket for lots of jobs.  Most had just little bark showing on one end.  No big deal. 

So, I FINALLY GOT AROUND TO MAKING ONE......a half a 2x4 with a little shelf/retainer on the top and a pulley on the bottom. 

Great tool, Why did i take this long making one?   :) :)  For you guys who have not used one of these, let me tell you, they will give you a whole new view of your "in-progress" bows. 

piper

Offline Jesse

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 10:47:37 pm »
This is mine
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 05:44:39 pm »
I wish in my whole FREAKIN' EXISTENCE there was a space big enough to put up a sheet of perf-board, and still stand back and see it.  Living room? no   shop?  no wall space  garage?  don't own one   bedroom?  not a chance  side of the house?  I doubt it.  dang.    maybe I'll come up to Cheese country and use yours Jesse.   

piper

Offline Jesse

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 08:18:12 pm »
You're more than welcome any time Piper :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark