Author Topic: Snake skin Question  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Dean Marlow

Snake skin Question
« on: August 08, 2009, 04:39:54 pm »
I am about to put a pair of diamond back Rattle snake skins on the back of my new bow. I have glued silk down on the back of my bow for added protection because of the thin rings. My question is should I darken the back of the bow to make the snakeskin pattern more pronounce or should it be lighter. Dean

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Snake skin Question
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 04:50:20 pm »
I would darken it.  Chocolate brown or black looks good under diamondbacks. I prefer black.  If you want, I'll post a pic of DB's over black. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 06:22:09 pm »
It's not necessary to darken the back. I never did it and like the muted look. To each his own! 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 07:17:59 pm »
A dark background will definitely help bring out the pattern.
Gordon

Offline woodstick

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 08:25:59 pm »
i have put on timber and diamond both and never darkend the back but 1 and i cant tell alot of difference.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 09:57:24 pm »

I didn't darken the back on my last snake bow, but Doug (Friedpie) darkened the back of one recently with black magic marker and put diamond backs over it. It really seems to bring out the color and pattern. He hasn't sealed the bow yet, but I'm sure it's going to look sweet!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 10:24:27 pm »
Not sure what kind of wood it is? I've done it both ways and it seems to me that alot depends on the size/age of the snakes. Younger smaller skins will be thinner allowing more of the backgraound to show through.Old tough residenter snakes with thicker hides won't let the back shine through as much.