Author Topic: finally raided the cane patch. got a few more questions.  (Read 1926 times)

Offline recurve shooter

finally raided the cane patch. got a few more questions.
« on: July 31, 2009, 12:08:48 pm »
hi guys. i finally convinced myself to go chase down some cane. i have 16 possible future shafts now, and im wondering about drying them. as most of you know i live in southern louisiana, where it stays between 90 and 100 degrees with extreme humidity. can i leave the cane outside to dry here or do i need to bring it inside?

by the way my motivation to get some cut was seeing a friends cane arrows that shoot well out of anything. hopeing to have some of my own hand made arrows for next season. thank yall for  your time.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: finally raided the cane patch. got a few more questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 12:25:35 pm »
I usually bundle them together by the dozens and let them dry in my garage for a couple of weeks first, then I un-bundle them and put them in the back of my truck for a couple of days to sun-bleach the green color out of them.  They turn a pretty golden color.  Then I procede to straightening them with a can of sterno as my heat source.  I think this further completes the drying process too.   I am sure there are other ways to do this but this way works pretty well for me.  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 12:27:18 pm »
thank you josh. i have an old shed i will put them in.
lets just shoot it

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 12:33:20 pm »
and as you know, cut them a little longer than you anticipate your arrow to be just in case they check while drying.  I have never had that problem with mine but still do it every time just in case.  It also helps for them to be longer when you go to straighten them too.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 01:40:13 pm »
I usually bring them inside. The constant humidity outside will keep them a bit soft.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 02:05:31 pm »
yeah, they range from 3 to 8 feet long or so. i'll keep em in my room to dry. how long should they dry for?
lets just shoot it