Author Topic: New Yew  (Read 6886 times)

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
Re: New Yew
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 04:18:28 pm »
thanks pappy thanks marvin
 and thanks dad,

I'll bring it up island on friday and we can fling some arrows through it,  I don't suppose the oceanspray/ turkey feaqthers are ready for it?

Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline broken arrow

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 11:28:06 pm »
Will have three oceanspray's ready for you. My left wing jig came in but does not work so I tried Ricks but it is a pain to use.

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 09:29:34 pm »
thanks george, pappy and timo,

I shot it quite a bit today and had a blast,  this is the first sinew bow i've made which i've shot alot,  and it seems to have alot of kick.
the cobra strike plate isn't up to the task of constantly getting whacked by feathers,  so i think i'll fashion a horn one up.

looking forward to seeing the completed arrows tomorrow brokenarrow

jamie
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 09:50:09 pm »
man oh man if you have anymore nice yew staves I'd love to work out a trade for some of this osage I have piled up.
I like to throw rocks at em..... just like my grandfather's, grandfathers, grandfather's, grandfather's, grandfather did

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 02:50:52 pm »
John,

I've got more yew, but the problem being that shipping staves across the country will break the bank account.  I did a bunch of trading nearly a year ago, and when it was all said and done i spent a couple hundred bucks on shipping.   I appreciate the offer,  but i think there's alot to be said for using what we have on hand.

i'm still building up courage to tackle the piece of osage i have,  what little i've done with it, it sure rasps hard compared to yew.

www.ravenbeak.com

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 03:24:13 pm »
I find that scraping is the best strategy for osage..... and selective careful bandsaw use! I don't need any wood right now I have plenty my friend. Osage is very forgivinng in my opinion..... its a hard wood but if you use hand tools that helps you slow down a bit. Remember the builders triangl has three sides Good, fast, and quick and that you only get to have 2 out of 3  :)
I like to throw rocks at em..... just like my grandfather's, grandfathers, grandfather's, grandfather's, grandfather did

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 01:11:27 am »
I returned home this afternoon and three beautiful arrows waiting for me.       Dads are great.

looking forward to firing these tomorrow morning.

[attachment deleted by admin]
www.ravenbeak.com

radius

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 01:14:43 am »
the fletching and arrows are damn cool, but i'm surprised to see those #2's in there!

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 01:19:25 am »
How so?

85 grams each.   easy in, easy out
www.ravenbeak.com

radius

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2009, 01:21:02 am »
i just never thought of it...surprised but not appalled!

Jamie, have you steamed any of this wood? 

You know how when you find it down, and it's been rained on, it seems red at the ends instead of orange?  Well, this sucker i steamed today turned quite red, the knots especially...weird...

Offline broken arrow

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2009, 11:21:54 pm »
Was great time with you shooting arrows from your two new bows. The sinew backed yew is one smoothe shooter.  Your new yew bows provided me with two firsts. This was the first time I shot arrows from both sides of a bow by reversing it and the first time I shot or held a long bow . Very interesting shooting such a long bow . The Oceanspray stump shooters I made up for you should survive considerable high impacts but looking at the pictures could do with some final straightening even though the feathers are uncut making up for some imperfections .   Cut a few Red-ozier Dogwood shoots today and peeled them . Straightened them green and put them in a cool place to dry for a week or two.  I will tweek them on a daily basis . They look strong and should make good shooters . We shot a lot of arrows in a couple of days. As I recall none of the shots were something to write home about.   What we lacked in accuracy was overcome by our perseverance .

Dad