Author Topic: some osage problems  (Read 2666 times)

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
some osage problems
« on: April 16, 2009, 11:17:27 pm »
  I just got a 54" osage tillered to 27", as i was sanding i saw a long crack midlimb, but its not making any creaking or cracking sounds. The crack is not from tillering it, had to of been in the board previously seeing as its pretty dark colored. (the same board i carved the bow out of yeilded another osage bow that cracked in three places, but the grain on this stave looked alot better).. Ill get some pics ASAP, all i can really think of doing is wrapping the cracked portion with sinew/some form of linen. any suggestons are appreciated greatly. thanks, -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline Timo

Re: some osage problems
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 11:45:49 pm »
Is it a lateral crack?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 11:50:52 pm »
Is it a lateral crack?
That is the big question.

Are you backing it? Just wondering since it is a board.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 11:58:10 pm »
possibly wind shakes. That is damage done to a live tree by wind forces against the tree. It could also be damage done during harvest if it had been pushed up in a pile by a bulldozer or even blown over. The darker color is an indication of an old wound.
   I assume these bows are from osage lumber. Are you backing the bows?  I would suggest hickory or boo backing and the crack could be a mute point. Backings are not always necessary for board bows but in this case, I'd say it is.
.....well, all of this depends on the crack. I'll wait for pics! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 09:00:59 am »
I'm with Pat on the info given w/o seeing it. Sometimes you can get away with it but it's the defects that you can't see from the windchecks that get you.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 09:04:36 am »
Osage doesn't fair well for board bows it tends to pop apart at the rings...so it should be backed with some hickory or bamboo.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 01:24:53 am »
 ok, sorry it took so long- bow works fine, i made it a little 17 pounder for my neighbor's grandson's birthday (he has taken the seventh lion in recorded history) i gave it to him, and i have pics, but the camera i took them on is really high quality, i'll retake them on a less mb camera- thanks for the patience, and i think you were right pat b, i did make it out of a board, but ive seen other osage bows with similar creaks. again, thanks for the patience, i can get pics tomarrow. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.