Author Topic: Cutting locust...?  (Read 3667 times)

Offline PaulN/KS

Cutting locust...?
« on: July 12, 2009, 01:00:31 am »
I was out brush hogging this morning and saw a very nice locust tree. Should I wait till the colder months to cut it down? I usually cut hedge in the winter but not sure about locust...? Are there pros and cons,(other than the heat,humidy and bugs) to cutting it in the summer?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cutting locust...?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 01:09:13 am »
There is more moisture in the tree during the growing season but you are going to dry it anyway! ;)  Like most other woods, you can cut locust anytime! Saying that, treat it just like you would osage. Working when the temperature, bug population and humidity are at uncomfortable levels is a good deterrent for me! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 09:34:44 am »
Cut it now.  That sapwood and bark comes off much easier now IMO.  I just cut one myself and chasing a ring last night. 
Westminster, MD

Offline smokeu

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 09:37:37 am »
Just be careful it will check horribly if not properly sealed. I do like some Black Locust!

Good Luck

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 11:17:09 am »
Well it appears we got some voting cut now and some voting that cut later is ok... ??? :) It will probably be later due to the summer weather here in Kansas.

I know it would be easier to peel now but I have noticed that wood cut in cold weather  checks less and, since locust tends to check anyway, I'll wait. We're having a wet summer too which is a factor as well. It's going to be a job getting it out since it's right between some other trees back there but that's why it's so straght and tall. Might be some Eastern Cherokee bows waiting in this tree...

Thanks guys...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 12:24:13 pm »
Like with osage you will be removing the bark and sapwood so it doesn't matter when it is cut. Like you, I prefer cooler temps for cutting and preparing staves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 04:45:38 pm »
No point too waiting. The xylem and phloem are the only living parts of the tree. They conduct water from roots up and vice versa, if I remember correctly.  They are found in the cambium layer which we call the inner bark. So off they go into the wood shavings.  I think there's more moisture in the wood though but like Pat said you are going to dry it. BL likes  a heartwood back remember and seal the ends with poly. I've always left the bark on until it's time to make a bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

dmann

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 09:32:33 pm »
i have had a bit of experience with locust and i believe if you coat the ends and keep the bark on you should be fine

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 12:31:18 am »
The only BL I cut during the Summer months was hard for me to handle. The bark fell off the tree. The inner bark stayed so wet I couldn't get enough shelack to stay on it. The sap wood was very thick on this tree so some of the checks that started didn't go to the heart wood. Got a couple of good staves out of it. I should mention this tree was not cut for bow wood, it fell in my yard yet stayed alive for more than half a year before I cut into it.

Trey

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 07:21:02 am »
The best time to cut wood is whenever you can cut it. Winter-cut locust is actually not hard to get the bark off of like hickory or HHB can be. Locust is really bad to check, so I like to dry it with the bark on. I can get away with that on locust (the only bugs that attack locust here are locust borere, and they only get in the tree while it is still alive, not after it's cut,) when the bugs will riddle most whitewoods stored with the bark still on.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

coyote pup

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 09:07:42 am »
I've always cut mine in February. But that's just personal preference. I have always had a feeling that if I cut it in summer, it would have a tendancy to check worse, but I never have done it so as to see if I'm right or not.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 05:58:30 pm »
I don't think the heartwood is any wetter or dryer in the summer, but the temps are a lot higher and this can cause more checking.  If you can get the bark and sapwood ff and get it in a cool garage or basement, it'll be just fine.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 08:31:35 pm »
That's a good point Lennie. If we get some cooler spells I'll might cut it down this summer.... It's gonna be a booger to get out from where it is tho... ::)

Seeya Friday... :)