Author Topic: Right or Left Helical Fletching  (Read 4636 times)

Swampeast

Right or Left Helical Fletching
« on: July 06, 2009, 11:12:06 pm »
Hello, I am new to this list. If I'm doing something wrong in my posting please tell me. My question is, What is the difference in right or left helical fletching? Does it matter if I am a right hand shooter?  Thanks!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Right or Left Helical Fletching
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 11:25:33 pm »
The right and left refers to the wing the feather came from. The helical is the way the feather lays on the shaft(straight, offset or helical). It does not matter which wing your feathers come from as long as all feathers on each arrow comes from the same wing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 07:23:09 am »
I agree with Pat. I can't tell any difference at all myself, I can miss with one as good as I can with the other. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

bebloomster

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 11:07:42 am »
My experience has always been that helical fletching makes the arrow louder and flies slower.  Offset just works better for me.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 11:14:45 am »
Being right handed or left handed will have no affect on whether you use right or left wing(helical) feathers.  Just make sure that you use either all left or all right wing(helical) on your arrow shafts.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 11:35:14 am »
I like helical myself, especially on hunting arrows with broadheads or stone points. Doesn't matter how fast the arrow is going if it wobbles or misses. A good helical spin will get the arrow stabilized and flying straight soon after it leaves the bow, which is important for the short ranges that most of us shoot while hunting.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.