Author Topic: Notching problems  (Read 2287 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Notching problems
« on: June 27, 2009, 06:00:32 pm »
I wish I could figure out what I was doing wrong. When I am putting notches in my points they either stall out or I end up breaking the point. The ear usually breaks off or I snap the whole point in half. I can get shallow notches ok, but if I try to make them look like points some of you guys have posted on here they end up breaking. I broke 3 points today trying to make points for the July challenge. Any tips yu could offer would be appreciated.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Notching problems
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 07:16:50 pm »
TJ: What kind of tool are you notching with? I like to use a copper hand flaker with the copper hammered down flat but still thick enough to handle the torque. And I like to use a notched pad underneath the point (an old piece of conveyor belt or old tire) with a thin metal plate jb welded to the back.
 Always get your base as thin as possible or your notches will stall out on ya or of course break if you apply too much pressure. Start your notch out small and always use the flat copper to grind the platform up after each flake, then flip it over and repeat. Just like any other flaking, you want your platforms inside those notches to be below center. I'll see if I can find a picture of that tool. Anything else, let me know.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline nugget

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 07:30:02 pm »
Thanks for the info Cowboy. I do not use a notched pad with a metal plate. I think I may be applying too much pressure and not using a thinenough tool. The metal plate gives stability to the point right? I may be snapping it in my hand. I will try to stiffen up my pad.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 07:49:42 pm »
Well actually I put that backing on the pad because I was wrecking my palm when the flaker passed through :-X. When I'm notching with pressure, I hold the pad and point and the flaker between my legs. Just like you would if using an Ishi stick. Hmm, let me look around - may have a picture of that pad somewhere.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline nugget

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 07:56:57 pm »
Ok. I was thinking it may be a combination of a few things I am doing wrong.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 08:03:00 am »
TJ, Don't try to take too much rock with one flake. A little at a time works better than bearing down hard and risking snapping the point. Using ridges still applies too.  Like cowboy said, stalled flakes are usually from working with rock that has not been thinned enough. One of the best things you can do is to practice notching big waste chips.  That way, if you screw up it is no big deal.  You'll have to be extra careful not to break the thin chip, but it will save you from destroying a point you've made. Hope this helps.
Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline nugget

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 09:50:51 am »
Thanks Jim. I will definitely practice. I am wanting to bring my knapping up a level and try to produce better looking points.