Author Topic: White Oak Log  (Read 3959 times)

Ahnlaashock

White Oak Log
« on: June 24, 2009, 10:35:40 pm »
I had an about 7 foot white oak log given to me.  Is White Oak a good wood for building a bow from a split stave?  Is there enough advantage over a decently oriented board to make starting from a split worth it with White Oak?  Should White Oak be backed, and what is a good backing to use on it? 
The log is pretty straight and about 20 inches.  There are lots of staves in there if the splitting goes well. 
I have seen Oak board bows, but I don't remember much talk of starting from a split!

Offline cracker

Re: White Oak Log
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 10:37:00 pm »
That is some mighty fine bow wood. Split seal it and guard it zealously.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 11:34:33 pm »
When was the log cut and how has it been stored since?       I have made a few bows with white oak and prefer it over red oak.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 12:45:16 am »
Cut four days, but recut today on the ends to separate the straight log section.  It is not sealed so far. 

Aosda

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 12:53:34 am »
I would try to get it split, debarked, and sealed as soon as you can.  I got some white oak a few months ago off the side of the road from a line crew.  Within a week, after I got it split, it took the better part of an hour to skin each stave.  But then again I don't own a draw knife, just an old WWII USMC jungle knife.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 01:00:57 am »
Peel it fast...so you still have sap to help you skin it!! White Oak is excellent Bow wood...and no it don't need to be Backed ...unless you mess up the Back when debarking it....some good Tough Wood....have fun and good luck......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 01:02:56 am »
What El D said.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Grunt

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 08:03:03 am »
Once it is debarked squirt some bug repellant on it and store it inside, don't let it sit on the ground outside.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 10:28:30 am »
Yes, indeed. El's got it right. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 07:45:26 pm »
Well, I have four wedges stuck in the log and have yet to get it to pop in half.  After some Iced Tea and a pipe to relax, I will go back out and beat on it some more!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 09:33:43 pm »
                                                             Told Ya it's some tough stuff!!!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 11:13:18 pm »
We got it split into halves, but I barely started to split the first stave off one half when it got dark and I started to feel my age!!!
One of the neighbors pulled up and watched me for a while trying to split the first half off.  He told me I had it backwards.  You cut it into blocks before ya split it!

Aosda

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 11:36:58 pm »
One of the neighbors pulled up and watched me for a while trying to split the first half off.  He told me I had it backwards.  You cut it into blocks before ya split it!

::) ;D

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 01:26:35 pm »
Figured out the problem with splitting the log the next day when we got to look at it in good light instead of the dark. 

Apparently sometime in the past someone cut a bunch of lower limbs off flush with the trunk.  They healed up and the tree grew out over them.  The entire middle is pretty much twisted firewood.  The outer edge that has grown clean will produce some decent staves.  Much of the tree is ruined for any use other than firewood. 
Ya wins some, and ya lose some!  Sometimes it is a draw!

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 01:16:19 pm »
I think I have figured out why no one offers White Oak staves for sale!!!  They are not hard to remove the bark from, but before you get that far, you will not need to go to the gym anymore!