Author Topic: Finally made a ferruled broadhead!  (Read 3580 times)

Offline Kegan

Finally made a ferruled broadhead!
« on: June 10, 2009, 03:05:45 pm »
I've been trying to make my own hunting heads for years. For a period I managed some tie-ons that worked, but I soon started using bows that were too heavy for my poor tieing/gluing kills to hold. I had tried a ferruled head a couple years ago, without success, but latey my work has imporved so I gave it another shot after seeing some broadheads in the traditional Bowyer's Bibles.

Here's the prototype, based on Jay Massey's "Half-fast" head :)

It's made with an 11/32" 125 gr field point and a piece of bandsaw blade from Mark (thanks Mark!!!). I initially just used JB Weld to try and hold, but that didn't work out so well. So I tried a small hand made rivet in there too, along with the epoxy, and it held perfectly. Even survived the tree test :). I haven't sharpened it, but it's dead accurate on one of my unspined shafts. Even if this one is rough, slightly misaligned, and a bit of a mess, I have high hopes for this little head. I just need some more field points and a new 1/16" drill bit (I broke the last one :-X).

It's 2" long, 1" wide, 150 gr and "barbed" to seat the point. I've been trying to make my own broadheads for a while, so I'm pleased as punch :).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Finally made a ferruled broadhead!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 04:18:51 pm »
Have you thought about trying to solder the blade to the point? That may be neater than the epoxy. You could still use the rivet.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 09:54:50 pm »
 I was going to suggest the same thing. Ace Hardware has silver solder.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 12:19:50 am »
I can see the HH influence in that head. ;D  I have thought about heads like this but with the work involved and the ultimate precision required, I think a trade point is the ticket. I haven't killed an animal with one yet but I feel more confident with the simplicity of a trade point.
  In an old edition of PA there are detailed instructions for making a ferreled head using field points.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 02:56:18 pm »
Kegan, just wanted to tell you barbed heads are illegal in PA for hunting.  :-X
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 07:38:13 pm »
Barbed broadheads are illegal here as well.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 10:52:03 am »
Nice head! I've been wanting to do the same thing...maybe soon. ;)

I saw some arrows that were glued on with a lot of excess epoxy, then it was ground down to make it look nice and give the head a very smooth taper.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 01:08:48 pm »
Sean, That is how Art Butner does his but used heat to reduce the epoxy. Very strong and aerodynamic.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 06:00:14 pm »
I'm still working on it, here's the first "set". I found a nicer way to rivet it up, and am working on gluing (I'm terrible with glue joints of any kind). As for solder, I was just using what I have around the house. Im low on funds.

Here's the next batch, all cleaned up. Still very rough, but I'm getting there.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 06:41:26 pm »
Those look good kegan! Deer beware :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.