Author Topic: First punch notch attempt  (Read 2578 times)

Offline FlintWalker

First punch notch attempt
« on: June 13, 2009, 11:27:32 am »
I guess it worked OK...all except I popped the tip off one of my ears. >:(
 I don't really know what I'm doing though. I've never seen anybody do it and don't know exactly what a punch is supposed to look like.  I just hammered the tip of a 3" long piece of 1/4" copper wire into a flat blade and filed the end square. I just put the corner of that on my platforms and whacked it with a bopper.  It worked some of the time, but the corners would round off after about 3 or 4 hits and I'd have to file it down again. 
The notches were only about half that wide to start out. But I didn't flatten out my wire but about 1/2" and when I punched it, the fat part of the punch went too far and blew a big chunk out, so I had to open them both up some more.

Any tips of pictures of what ya'll use for punches would sure be welcome. Thanks,  Saw Filer

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 12:26:42 pm by Saw Filer »
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: First punch notch attempt
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 12:18:42 pm »
Shannon, for somebody who "don't know what you're doing".....that sure looks good. I think you oughta give us some lessons how you did that.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 01:58:23 pm »
Know nothing about punch notching but it looks like ya did great :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 02:18:10 pm »
that is sweet work my freind..that is the same result that i get on obsidian...dont worry about the ear.just match them up..john

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 02:34:07 pm »
looks like ya done good shannon!

I make mine outa copper flattened like you did, but I file a small notch bout a 1/4" up.that is what I set on the platform. ANd you do have to redress it often. I'll try to get ya a pic later today, but I magine you'll have it figured out by then?  ;)

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 03:22:09 pm »
Looks good.Each time you punch take the punch by hand an just take the smallest amount you can off each side to kind off square up the notch flip it over a knock the next flake out....repeat
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 06:50:18 pm »
Sure ain't nothin wrong with those notches Shannon. That's one fine looking point and with a little concrete in the middle :). Too bad about that ear though. Actually those wide notches look better on some points.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Timo

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 10:26:56 pm »
Shannon, this is how I was shown how to make them. Not sure if it is right, but it works. ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 11:19:16 pm »
Thanks for posting that Tim. That's pretty much what I came up with, except without the notch. Now I didn't figure that much out on my own.  Cowboy explained to me what he used the other day, so that's how I got as far as I did.  The notch would seem to be a little extra work, but it should also keep you from hooking too much rock. Plus, the extra length below the notch might help keep the punch from going too far through the notch.   Good idea, Thank you. :)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.