Author Topic: Rattler Backed Static Recurve Paddle Bow  (Read 17283 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Rattler Backed Static Recurve Paddle Bow
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2009, 10:35:15 am »
Nice bow Mike. 
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2009, 12:59:41 pm »
                                          Thank You Marc.....coming from You that means a lot!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline faltenhemd

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2009, 08:27:37 am »
sweet tiller, El D.!
Swabian in Switzerland

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2009, 10:15:53 am »
Man ....I really appreciate all of the Nice Comments on this Bow.....I love this Style of Bow and have made so many that I am comfortable doing them....I wish I had the Talent to make some of the awesome looking Bows that so many Others make monthly...with their Needle Tips and Overlays....I am going to have o break out of my Comfort Zone...and give them a Shot..... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2009, 09:03:15 am »
Howdy El Destro,

Hey, I'm still lookin' and likin'...

On my  60" Paddle Bow, the tips are nearly to size.  So, do you think I should go ahead and try to Flip the Tips on 'em anywho?  If so, what is the outer radius on that Tip Fippin' Form you posted? 
Also, would it be a better idea, since my tips are nearly to size, if I were to do a less exaggerated flipped tip and would there be any physical advantage to doing so?  I mean, would it still help in reducing string angle to a noticeable degree
Would there still be a high chance of the tips getting cracks through the process?

One more question, did you carve (or cut) a long string groove (or guide) into the belly side up near the tips on the curves?

Thanks again for your encouragement and for your guidance.

All the Best,
Canoe

"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2009, 08:38:03 pm »
The Form I used had a Radius of 7 inches.....You have already tapered the Tips and thinned them also? You don't state what wood you used for this Bow....if you have thinned the Tips and Tapered them to near completion...I would not reccommed trying to bend them at all....JMO....and also I did not grind...carve or File in a String Groove on the Belly Side of the Limb Tips...if you look closely at the Third Picture that I posted....I wrapped the Tips with Back Sinew and Hide Glue...and before the Hide Glue had totally set up...I laid a piece of oiled Saran Wrap on the Tips...Braced the Bow...and let the String pressure put a grove in the Sinew as it Dried....it didn't end up very deep...but it was effective none the less
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2009, 10:02:20 pm »
Mike,   thats a great tip on doing sinew nocks ;D ;)

keepng that one in the memory banks for further reference
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2009, 12:37:02 am »
Howdy El Destructo,

Thanks for your responce to all my questions - too many perhaps.

BTW, my paddle bow is from a nice, straight grained, Oak Board. 
And yes, the tips are nearly to size.  So, I wont try to curve the tips on this one.

And, you said that radius is seven inches - I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks again,
Canoe

"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2009, 03:55:16 am »
Canoe....I always try to have at least a half inch of Wood thickness on the Tips when I bend them...this way if you do get a little Splintering...it will be removed before the Tips are completed...also leave a little more wood in the width of the Tip too...at least for Me this seems to help......and you can never ask too many questions either......... ;)
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2009, 05:11:40 am »
Nice bow Mike,just got back and seen this,very well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2009, 07:57:05 am »
Thanks Pappy...I appreciate the Compliment...Glad your Vacation went well...glad to see you got Miss Joanie out to see the West....it's sure a awesome sight....when all you are used to is Trees and Water!!!
2024...We Will Overcome