Author Topic: ABOUT DIFFERANT BOW PROFILES  (Read 3257 times)

Offline Blacktail

ABOUT DIFFERANT BOW PROFILES
« on: May 17, 2011, 03:14:44 am »
CAN YOU GUYS HELP...me and maybe some one new wants to learn about differant styles of bows and what makes it that style...now some i know some i dont or get lost with it..so,if people could post a pic and explaning what a reflex bow or reflex deflex and where they are at on the bow..or even a flat bow ...just trying to help new people and me understand more about what we are making...and what they look like...thanks john

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: ABOUT DIFFERANT BOW PROFILES
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 11:32:27 am »
Here, here...I'd sign up for another crash course in this, I've read the TBB's but it's nice to see folk's personal work with some spec's and descriptions.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 04:04:01 pm »
Good Idea,for a thread,cause i see a lot of Definitions used incorrectly nowdays.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 05:17:32 pm »
hey traxx,that is one of the troubles that i have and i get a little confused..i hoping that some one will be brave enough to post some bows and educate me..i am just a wee little lad from oregon..

Offline Traxx

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 06:47:54 pm »
Im not much Help,in the pics department as im just a desert rat.LOL
But,,,I can describe the differences,as i see them often missrepresented.
In my descriptions,i will use them in the context,of the archer holding the bow,as if to be in a shooting posistion,to avoid any further confusion.
1..Reflex,is when the riser and or limbs,sweep foreward of the riser and away from the archer.
2..Deflex,is just the opposite.The riser and or limbs sweep rearward of the riser,toward the archer.
A reflex/deflex bow first reflexes at the riser and then the limbs deflex,in the outer extremities.A very common style among Native people,especially in the Plains and southwest regions.
Deflex/Reflex,is an opposite design,it deflexes at the riser and reflexes in its outer extremities.A common design in modern F/G hybrid bow design.A modern style recurve fits this dicription as well,but to lessen the chance of confusion,they have been designated as recurve and the distinction between the 2 is that the "Recurve has enough bend in the outer limbs,that the string has contact with the limbs below the nocks,when braced.A recurve,by this description,can have different limb designs below the recurve,such as Reflex,Deflex or straight limb,provideing it has contact with the limb below the nocks.Some makers,slightly set back their outer limbs,in reflex for increase speed and or string angle,without the string haveing contact,with the limb.This,is refereed to as set back limb tips or as it is often refered to as,"Flippin the tips".While there are long bows ,medium length bows and shortbows,A "Longbow"by its true definition,is an English longbow.It is often as tall or taller than the archer and works through the handle slightly and has a radiused or rounded belly.In some Societies catering to this style bow,there are strict definitions regarding length and correlation,between width and thickness for them to qualify as such.What is often considered a longbow in the north american continent,which is long like the ELB but lacks the high crowned and radiused belly,is actually a "Flatbow."Flatbows can have many limb shapes,that distinguish them as subs of the flatbow,such as a pyramid or a Paddle bow or a Holmgard.Ill use 2 that i often see used interchangably and incorrectly.They are the Pyramid and the Paddle versions.
1..The Pyramid is designed so the widest part of the limb,is in the area,directly out of the handle.Its limbs go from there,in a straight taper to the tips.Often associated with the Osage people of the plains as well as the Modoc people of the west.
2..A paddle bow has its widest part of the limb,center of the limbs and narrowing in both directions toward the handle and tips.this is a style,most commonly associated with the native people of the west coast,but is found among people,in the Great Basin and Plateau regions as well.
Another one i see often is "Selfbow"
A selfbow is a bow made from a single piece of wood or 2 pieces of wood spliced at the handle in some fashion.If the bow has any other material used on the back or belly,to aid in its performance,or otherwise make the bow usefull,it is a backed bow or composite.These are some of the terms i see used that lead to some confusion.Im shure there are others,that some can contribute.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 06:49:14 pm »
I learned alot by reading and studying every single bow posted here and on ther sites. Most guys let you know the style of the bow, if not ask them to post it.  I looked for characteristics in each and learned to recognize them. Plus, Im a read-a-holic of archery books and leanred a TON about various styles that way.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 09:34:36 pm »
thanks so much traxx...i love your writings it helped out and learned alot from it...i hope more people chime in on this...i dont know if you covered most bow in the reply but its a heck of a great start..thanks john

Offline Traxx

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 09:04:33 pm »
I thought of another one.LOL
D Bow....
A D Bow,is a straight limbed bow that resembles a letter D when Strung.It is a working handle bow.It has nothing to do with limb cross section as a D bow can have various cross sections and still qualify as a D bow.If the Bow has a static handle,then it is not a true D bow.Some authors have taken the liberty of fudgeing on the Definition of a D bow and it has Clouded and led to the confusion of the definition.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 12:36:58 am »
So if it bends thru the handle AND is D shaped in cross section would it be a Double D bow?

Always wondered why I liked that style so much!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.