Author Topic: Recurveing a osage board??  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Craig/Fl

Recurveing a osage board??
« on: May 25, 2009, 09:24:39 am »
Hi all, new guy here, I'm getting back into bow making again after several years away, I only built about 4 bows back then but have more time to devote to it now. Question is, I have a osage board that I've got tapered and a piece of boo that flattened out and ready to glue up. After seeing  El Destucto's great loooking paddle recurve  I was wondering if that could be done to a board before glue up. I dont ever recall seeing any recurved boo backed osage except for Torges version. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Craig

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: Recurveing a osage board??
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 09:37:00 am »
How does the grain run in the board?? Depending on that you could maby steam in the recurve. I have done it in the past. I would rather cut a kerf in it and glue in the recurve. JMO..
David

Offline dismount

Re: Recurveing a osage board??
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 11:20:36 am »
I'm no expert, but I tried my first BBO using a 1\2'' osage board. I built my glue up form and then decided to recurve the board first. I put the board in my jig and put clamps on the area to be bent. Took a heat gun with olive oil and heated and clamped a little at a time.After putting acetone on to clean up the wood I glued the bamboo on and clamped everything down. My thoughts are if the wood is prebent it takes alot of pressure off the backing to hold in the reflex/deflex,  and takes pressure off the glue joint. Dismount