Author Topic: ? about core and belly woods  (Read 2133 times)

MAK

? about core and belly woods
« on: May 20, 2009, 07:17:56 am »
Does it matter much for the core of a tri lam or the belly if it is quaresawn or rift cut? Or should it always be flat sawn wood?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: ? about core and belly woods
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 08:54:26 am »
I don't have a lot of experience with lam bows, so take my advice with a grain of salt-but I would prefer rift or quartersawn over flatsawn for lams myself.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 09:39:13 am »
Well, I really don't see how it could make much diferance. Grain run off is the most critical thing with laminated bows. I think grain orientation over emphasized, and doesnt mean much. JMO
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 09:48:39 am »
Grain run off isn't a huge deal with laminated bows. For core laminations you can use most anything. Now that I said that, if you are looking through a stack of lumber you might as well find one with good grain. I might look for 20 minutes and not buy one because I don't see something I like.  That is why it is important not to wait until you need wood to start looking.  If you look every time you go to the lumber store you will find some great wood and wont have to settle for other garbage.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 09:58:07 am »
Ryano.. you are right. In some woods it dont change much. But in other woods I find that the the rift or quartersawn makes for a faster bow and the flat sawn is not as snappy..
As for grain run off.. on a single core highly R/D grain run off on Ipe or lots of other woods can somtimes be a nightmare!! But on most med R/D it is not as crittical.. JMO