Author Topic: Sassafrass Arrows  (Read 3414 times)

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
Sassafrass Arrows
« on: May 12, 2009, 10:38:25 am »
I just bought a shafting plane a month or so ago and have been experimenting with different shaft materials and I think I have found a winner.... Sassafrass. I find it to be extremely flexible, transfers kinetic energy well, makes a durable stump arrow but still light, and has that pleasant rootbeer smell. I know it isn't listed among the traditional choices but I think it should be. So far it seems to spine out between 50 and 35 pounds depending on the amount of straight grain in the shaft. It sands well and is easy to work. I also find it to be relatively inexpensive here in Ohio. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts?
I like to throw rocks at em..... just like my grandfather's, grandfathers, grandfather's, grandfather's, grandfather did

Offline Parnell

Re: Sassafrass Arrows
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 02:06:49 pm »
No, but being that it smells like root-beer makes it better than an oak dowel at a superstore.  Now, only if there is a wood that smells like bacon.  Mmmmm.
1’—>1’

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:43:17 pm »
I love the smell of sassafras. It's strong wood for its weight, that's what the old-timers around here used to make ox yokes from. It's about impossible to find sassafras lumber around here, even though we have a lot of it growing.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 11:29:14 am »
I get it at a local sawmill ... not sure what it costs.... I bought all the 3-4 ft scrap ends they had for 20 bucks.... I find the arrows can be bent pretty far before they break and they straighten well. I might send you some 3/8 arrow blanks if you had something from down your way to trade :)
I love the smell of sassafras. It's strong wood for its weight, that's what the old-timers around here used to make ox yokes from. It's about impossible to find sassafras lumber around here, even though we have a lot of it growing.
I like to throw rocks at em..... just like my grandfather's, grandfathers, grandfather's, grandfather's, grandfather did

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 05:47:51 pm »
I've wodnered about sassafras for arrows. I'm glad I'm not the only one ;D.

Glad it works so well. It looks like it should make a really pretty arrow too.

orcbow

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 06:09:10 pm »
I LOVE sassafras for arrows!! Definitely at the top of my list. Sassafras is unique in N. American woods in that it has a high level of dimensional stability, which is a fancy way to say that it tends to stay straight.

Another remarkable arrow wood is yellow poplar heartwood from very old barns.

Offline Ohio John

• personal home page
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 06:25:51 pm »
I recently was given some Ohio hemlock which came out of a barn torn down a few decades ago....... The hemlocks have been gone in northwest Ohio for at least 100 years.... I estimate it is maybe 150 yr old wood.... Any experience with old hemlock for arrows?

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 03:51:50 pm »
Take a small straight sapling and ring the bottom with your knife to kill it.  When it turns solid brown, cut it and add it to your supply until you have a few shafts to work.  Scrape the bark and bumps off using whatever method works for you.  Wrap about two inches from the end with rawhide or sinew.  Split into 4ths back to the wrapping with a sharp thin blade.   Work a leather thong in between the four tips and slide down to the wrapping.  This will spread the tips apart.  Sharpen them and cut barbs into them.  Heat treat the whole thing, making sure to get the tips really well.   Fletch with a strip of any thin skinned fur wrapped around the arrow three times.   Wrap ahead of nock for support. 
Best easily made small game arrow for someone on the move that I know how to make.   The arrow hangs up in the critter bringing squirrels and such down really well.   They don't last long, but you can make them pretty easily and quickly.   We used these off our old FG stickbows when we were kids.   They shoot very well at close small game distances. 
Closest I have seen documented are arrows from a tribe in Brazil if I remember correctly, but I did not care about that back then.   I have never researched whether or not that type was used by the native peoples of Missouri or not.     
They make good small fish arrows also.