Author Topic: Bamboo Splinters from nodes  (Read 8008 times)

Offline bigcountry

Re: Bamboo Splinters from nodes
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 02:04:15 pm »
i never touch the nodes.  sanded on my first bbo and the splinters lifted from every node.  learned that lesson well.  i'd back the bow with silk, and maybe put a snakeskin over it, as i dislike wraps. 

I have no experience with silk.  Is the stuff that good to keep down splinters?  I guess you guys wouldn't tell me to do it unless it worked.  I thought about rawhide but that might look goofy.  Since they are pulling from the sides of the nodes, I need something that will go over the sides some.  Never worked with silk but I guess it would do that.
Westminster, MD

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 10:31:46 pm »
Silk will hold down a splinter as well as anything.....Just glue it on a little wider than the bow limb is and file or sand it off right at the glue joint between the wood and bamboo. I use titebond three for silk, size the bows back with glue and apply glue to the silk backing and then smooth it out on the bows back. Take your time and work it as the glue sets up. I take something round like a socket and roll it on the back of the bow from the handle towards the tips to get all the air and excess glue out. This will provide you with a nice smooth backing.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 01:35:30 am »
A cloth backing will definatly help, best way to apply a fabric backing with TB III is to wet and stretch it before gluing it on, slap glue on the back, put the moist fabric on, and you'll see how easy it will work out  ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 11:21:17 am »
A cloth backing will definatly help, best way to apply a fabric backing with TB III is to wet and stretch it before gluing it on, slap glue on the back, put the moist fabric on, and you'll see how easy it will work out  ;)

Thanks guys, at least I got some options and bow is still on one piece.  I am just lucky its almost finished tillered before I found this. 
Westminster, MD