Author Topic: Osage Sealing  (Read 2267 times)

Offline bigcountry

Osage Sealing
« on: May 08, 2009, 05:34:10 pm »
I have just been doing some reading on Shellac.  I never knew it was a natural resin product.  I always thought it was a synthetic like minwax or something.

Does anyone seal thier osage with shellac?  I was reading where it was not recommended to put other varnish or polys over it.  I guess thats why everyone is doing the thunderbird sealing.
Westminster, MD

Offline Timo

Re: Osage Sealing
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 06:48:18 pm »
Just use it for sealing staves,but not for an overall finish.

Offline yazoo

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 09:42:54 pm »
I seal all my inside splits with it on all sides, and all staves that have the sapwood removed, plus all my blanks when they are roughed and through the heating and straighting process,hard to work osage with out it
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 10:02:05 pm »
I seal all my inside splits with it on all sides, and all staves that have the sapwood removed, plus all my blanks when they are roughed and through the heating and straighting process,hard to work osage with out it

Mike, I hear folks a lot say put shellac on before steam bending or even dry bending.  I don't know anything about the stuff other than on pine boards in your house you get that 70's vibe going. 

So when you say thru the heating process, are you saying its best to use shellac over poly or varnish?  Is this because its not as flamible or doesn't heat off as easy? 

Westminster, MD

Offline yazoo

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 10:16:25 pm »
I use heat and it stays on fine,, I like to use it on osage to dry blanks,the shellac will allow mosture to escape evenly, thus preventing checks, if you seal them up with poly the mosture cannot escape,
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far