Author Topic: gluing wet rewhide w/o hide glue  (Read 5656 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: gluing wet rewhide w/o hide glue
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 11:25:08 pm »
I usually use strips of old bed sheets.     Once the glue has set, you can remove the wrap and trim the excess rawhide before it dries and gets hard.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 11:41:36 pm »
Aaron, I like to use the ace bandages that sticks to itself, you can wrap them tight and overlap about 50%, the ace bandage allows the moisture to escape and you can leave them on for a couple of days. i agree that you dont have to stretch the rawhide, as it does shrink as it dries.  is that the stave you got from clyde from tennesee? he had some by my tipi and i thought he traded you for some vine maple.

Offline aaron

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 10:57:23 am »
yeah, j.j. it IS one of the staves i got from clyde. the glue on the one limb is all set up and everything looks fine- I did end up stretching it as I applied it. i clamped it to the handle and tied a rope to the tip end- the rope tied to another clamp held it while i wrapped it.
 by the way, when and where is that bow-making workshop thingy you are putting on?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"