Author Topic: Bamboo Stains  (Read 3185 times)

Offline akbowman

Bamboo Stains
« on: April 30, 2009, 12:00:04 pm »
I am planning to make a bamboo backed hickory bow and am curious if anyone has any good ideas for stains or cools stuff you can do to color the bamboo. I have made a couple bbh in the past and just left the bamboo natural color which i really like, but i was wanting to try something a little different. I have seen posts on here in the past with some really cool colored bamboo backing, but cant find em. Any ideas or techniques would be appriciated.

Offline Gordon

Re: Bamboo Stains
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 02:01:48 pm »
Bamboo takes alcohol based stains really well. I use leather dye.
Gordon

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 03:33:43 pm »
I will echo leather dye. It comes in a variety of colors and is easy to find. Go to American Leather on line they carry a large selection of colors and types. Good luck
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline akbowman

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 05:44:47 pm »
there was a post on here maybe a year ago or so that had a bamboo backing, think it might of been a build-along, but the bow was looking awsome then all of a sudden in the next picture the bamboo was a florescent green or chartreuse, and i thought the builder had lost his mind but then he did something else to it and it ended up being a beautiful emerald green color with dark streaks in it. Does anyone remember this post? or who the builder was?

Offline Cromm

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 07:05:04 pm »
No but I would love to know how it was done......
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 09:08:39 pm »
I remember seeing that bow. and yes the green looked really cool. but I can't remember who posted it. Sorry

Offline Dano

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 09:43:28 pm »
It was prolly Joe Don Jones of Genisis Bows, he does outstanding work. He can make bamboo look like fiddleback maple.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Shryken

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 11:44:44 pm »
It also may have been from James (Robustus) Parker with Huntworthy Productions.

From his website