Author Topic: What Kind of Cherry is this??? IS BLACK CHERRY A GOOD BOW WOOD?  (Read 2220 times)

Offline smokeu

Ok I got a cherry log a this winter that I split out, but im not sure if there are any other types of cherry that dont work well for bows. It had a scally kindof bark that smelled like cherry when removed. It has gotten pretty dry now and I recently cut a stave out of a larger piece...the tree was like a hundred years old at least and the growth rings real close together.  I removed the sapwood and used the first growth ring as the back. So when I roughed it out and flexed a limb a little it felt almost a bit spongy and then snapped. And ther didnt seem to be a detectable flaw there.  Im new at ring chasing but have been stuying hard. I felt fairly confident that I was good but maybe not. Would this wood be better backed or should I go to a deeper growth ring, a thicker one perhaps.

Thanks Guys,

Mike
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:35:57 am by smokeu »
Longview, TEXAS

Offline richpierce

Re: What Kind of Cherry is this???
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 09:36:55 am »
I don't think it's necessary or easy to chase a ring on cherry.  The grain is not that obvious.

Offline man with stick,s

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 10:06:05 pm »
I have used lot,s of cherry before and the problem is most likely that it,s black cherry and black cherry is weak in tension

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 11:31:16 pm »
Backing would probly be the way to go. You don't have to chase a ring as long as the wood is good under the bark. Most people suggest backing it with a lighter wood such as maple or a thinner than normal hickory backing.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline smokeu

Re: What Kind of Cherry is this??? IS BLACK CHERRY A GOOD BOW WOOD?
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 10:37:55 am »
I think it is black cherry...

should i scrap it?
Longview, TEXAS

Offline PeteC

Re: What Kind of Cherry is this??? IS BLACK CHERRY A GOOD BOW WOOD?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 08:35:10 pm »
Mike if it's BC,give it a go.It's a decent bow wood. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas