Author Topic: A long lumpy splinter of a bow  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Dauntless

A long lumpy splinter of a bow
« on: April 22, 2009, 01:56:00 pm »
Well I was going to do a nice showcase of my most recent project, with macro pictures, full draws from different angles and maybe a video or two of some shooting.  I took two pictures before my camera decided it was out of power.  I do have a cheap webcam on this laptop...

Bow is 72" long, made of a Norway maple splinter (thats what you get when you split a sapling in quarters).  Getting those extra staves presented me with a bit of a problem though; I wouldn't be able to have nice flat bellies.  They all have this bulging multi-knot thingy right in the middle which serves as a handle.  Belly is rounded on this one with no chrysals in sight.

Limbs are 1.5" at the fades and 1/2" at the tips.  The bow is for a friend who does a bit of role playing games, the kind with foam swords and foam tipped arrows.  Thought there might be a bit of a market in that area for wood bows.  This means the draw weight is only about 25# at 28".  I did brace it a little higher than usual at 7".  An early heat treatment gave it some reflex, but shooting it in brought it back to the original 1" of deflex.

Finish is a coat of linseed oil then a polish of candle wax mixed with linseed oil.  I'm surprised how smooth and soft it was.  I thought it would be waxy and oily

Shoots that thin bamboo arrow with gusto.

The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: A long lumpy splinter of a bow
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 03:17:08 pm »
Looks great! Congratulations. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline african man

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 03:45:29 pm »
Nice one
I find some times it's better to get one good bow out of a stave than try and squeeze two suspect ones , I've had it a few times where I've tryed to get two staves out of one good one and landed up with nothing ...  :-[ :'(
Good work there , keep it up

Chris ...  ;)
we all die but we all don't live

Offline John K

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 05:11:46 pm »
Looks great ! Congrats !!
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 05:36:59 am »
Cool bow from a challenging piece of wood. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 06:57:27 am »

Tiller looks great!
Frank from Germany...

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 12:27:21 pm »
Good job on this one. Primitive, too, just the way we like them. Norway maple is one of the most common trees and found in parks, yards, etc. Can make a very nice bow.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 12:46:03 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys.  Yeah, my university campus literally has forests of the stuff and they cut a lot of it all the time.  I'm just saving wood from the chipper.O:)  There are big piles of wood not far from where I live; I go shopping every now and then for some free invasive species wood.

The sister split should make a meatier bow in the 40-50# range.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.