Author Topic: Oak board bow split  (Read 2462 times)

Offline venisonburger

Oak board bow split
« on: April 21, 2009, 02:22:21 pm »
One of the first 2 bows I made was a red oak board bow for my son, straight grained and no runoffs. It was up in the rafters of the garage since my son is 16 and is distracted by girls so he hasn't been shooting much, well, I was trying to get it down to take to the Tennessee classic next week and it fell and landed perfectly on one end, when I looked at the bow it was split perfectly down the center on a grain line.
Heres my question, if I were to pry it open a bit, get some titebond in there, clamp it then later wrap in several spots down each limb and in the handle do you think it would have any chance of life after the fall?
Kinda saddens me since it was one of my first few.
VB

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Oak board bow split
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 02:31:17 pm »
Vb. use super glue instead of titebond, it gets down in the cracks better. Then maybe add some tip overlays to hold it together.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 05:04:04 pm »
I've got a couple of bows with big cracks from trying to get too many staves split out of a sapling.  I get some thin hide glue (knox gelatin) in there and wrap up the area where it started with some b50 or sewing thread in glue.  If that crack split the nock, you could wrap thread an inch or two down from the string grooves.

You could thin the titebond a bit to get it to soak in further.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 06:24:54 pm »
Yup. I've had a couple of those, only from the old nocks I used to use. I just put some TB II (TB III is better, should run down in better), wrap it off, and then put a new overlay onto the tip. Even worked on a 75# longbow :)!

jstarcher

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 12:54:04 am »
Long as its a vertical split you should be able to glue it up with no problems.  If you are worried still about the glue not holding wrap a lil sinew around it.