Author Topic: glass and obsidian  (Read 4168 times)

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
glass and obsidian
« on: April 20, 2009, 10:11:32 pm »
this is what i have been able to make with Wolf Watcher's starter kit. I have to work on longer positioned flakes. not the thinnest, but ittl work. critiques welcome.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Wolf Watcher

Re: glass and obsidian
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 10:47:53 pm »
Dustin:  So proud of you and the points you made.  There are some tricks and some things to look for when you are knapping. They will help you in the learning curve.  One thing you will learn is to look at the spall on its edge and see where the center line is.  Then use the ishi stick to spall the side that is below center.  Make an effort to abrade to make platforms for you to flake from.  Once again go to a knap in and keep on posting so we can see your progress.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 10:48:29 pm »
i think you are doing great...if your goal is to get thinner ones...you need to shoot flakes past the center of the face...i hope i explaned it right...my teaching skills are poor...great work...john

Offline DustinDees

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 11:51:25 pm »
Joe you cant believe how psyched i am to go to the knap-in.  its the 14th-17th may. i got it ok''d with "the boss" and have requested the day off at work as well. i have found some obsidian nearby from a friend, and a rockshop both to practice on. been practicing raising the edge and keeping the edge ground down to keep from crushing the edge. knocked the spall off a fist sized piece for the larger point. hitting a big rock right is harder than it looks from videos.

John i understand what you mean. i was able to overshoot some flakes on some practice glass shards, got one almost 3/4" following the ridge on the underside. the problem was it was sheet glass and the dang obsidian arrowheads get big buggers on em that i have to learn how to extend the flake through.... at least form the youtube vids it looks like thats how they take them off.

Thanks to both of you for the compliments and critiques.
Dustin D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:45:26 am by DustinDees »
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 07:11:06 am »
Not bad and with time you will get better, practice makes perfect :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 06:21:00 pm »
dustin them is just fine for firstpoints.
i have only been knaping for about 3 months now,and my first obsidion point was thick also
then i switched to chert,got a little better and learned afew things,went back to obsidion cause i ran out of chert :'(
i learned with obsidion that you need to use alot less pressure or you just crush your platforms when trying to pressure flake them.
now my obsidion points are getting thinner and better each time i make em.

keep it up and in no time at all you will surprise yourself on how thin you can get that glass without it shattering.

peace,
                                                                                  tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 07:17:59 pm »
Look good Dustin! And with just a starter kit - your hooked now man ;D. Yup, go to that knap-in and watch and listen. You'll be lightyears ahead.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 07:27:42 pm »
Great start! Now remember to sheer the edge back before flaking. Sheer down with the edge of the flaker. Then flip point over and find the mid line and then pressure flake. Remember! Pressure in then down, in then down, in then DOWN!!!! Got it? Good! Now begin again! YA! I said AGAIN! YAVOL! WE SHALL MAKE A FLINTKNAPPER OUT UF U!!!!! ACTUNG! BEGIN!!!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 12:33:22 am »
Looking good.  Like Paul (Cowboy) said, get with a group of knappers and watch how you improve.  I've been at it for a little over a year, and the most progress I've made was after attending OJAM twice and Pappy's Classic.  After this past OJAM, I sat down with a gentleman and just watched and listend for the better part of a day.  I came home and POW.  I've made the largest and thinnest points to date.  I even recycled some older points that I once thought were as good as I could get them.  Now they're half as thin and much better.  Put those aside and break some more rocks and glass.  Enjoy your self.  You're well on your way. 

Mike

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline DustinDees

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 12:46:59 am »
DanaM, thank you. at the rate im going all my free time goes to practicing knapping and bow building.... dang this stuff is addictive... might even have a recruit from the valley coming here soon.

Tim thanks. i am trying to find other knappables around here. will order some chert or chalcedony or the likes soon. waiting till after the knap-in to see what i can get there. That makes a lot of sense.

Cowboy thank you. believe me, its a heck of a starter kit. "The boss" has the day off so the whole fam is going to the knap-in.

David HAHAHAHA i can actually hear that accent, das ist serra guten. i will remember that. and dont think i forgot about the staves. havnt cut em yet. just hit our first two 85 degree days and im thinking ill have some elm drying before the knap-in.

Mike thanks. Sounds like a winner. hope to get some good material and some direction twords finding my own material locally while im there as well.

Thank for the comments and critiques.
Dustin D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 01:01:22 am by DustinDees »

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 01:21:40 am »
Dustin, is that the TN Classic your thinking about going to?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline DustinDees

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 01:43:54 am »
Unfortunately no. read the ENTIRE life is good thread in a couple days, had osage and venison burned into my retinas for days after, and was hungry no matter what i ate, but thats a different story. I am saving up to go next year. may or may not be able to get there. but im gonna try my darnedest.

Dustin D.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 02:07:32 am by DustinDees »

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 02:24:21 am »
Its an experience to say the least!