Author Topic: Urac 185  (Read 2143 times)

Offline chep

• TraditionalArcher.org Traditional archery and traditional bowhunting forum
Urac 185
« on: May 03, 2009, 12:37:28 am »
Hello,

I want to know if URAC 185 requires a heat source to cure and bond. I looked at the instruction sheet here http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/library/urac.pdf

I found no declaration which states it needs a heat source greater than what appears to be 60-70 degrees F. The plan is to use URAC 185 on my next bow and I have either been building self bows or using Smooth On. However I would like to try URAC 185 and was also wondering if you have any gotchas, tips or recommendations which I might want to know about and cannot get from their instruction sheet. Is is worth using on the bow tips?

Thank you

Offline Gordon

Re: Urac 185
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 03:18:12 am »
Urac does not require heat to cure, though it will cure quicker in warmer temps. For tips I use either 5 min epoxy or superglue.
Gordon

Offline chep

• TraditionalArcher.org Traditional archery and traditional bowhunting forum
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 08:50:10 pm »
Do you need a smooth or rough gluing surface?

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 09:39:30 am »
Surface should be rough. I rough mine up with a toothing plane blade to give it more surface to adhere to. But an 80 grit sandpaper should work just a well.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.