Author Topic: Cherry Branch..to split or not?  (Read 3018 times)

Offline 22arrows

Cherry Branch..to split or not?
« on: April 14, 2009, 06:27:12 pm »
Fellas I found myself a nice cherry tree that had fell over the winter. Yesterday I went and cut off one of the branches approximately 3 inches in diameter and about 60 inch tall.
My question is should I still split it even though its 3 inch in diameter? Also i am not positive if its black cherry, but I've read that's black cherry isn't the best bow wood? Is this true?

Thanks

Offline adb

Re: Cherry Branch..to split or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 08:34:52 pm »
Black cherry is fine bow wood, but you have to stick within it's limitations. Personally, I don't like branch staves, but that's just me. Lots of guys here have made wonderful bows from branch staves.

Offline 22arrows

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 08:49:30 pm »
Thanks, I just stated working with staves/branches; I dont really have the tool to reduce large staves.
I just got the branch inside a measured it; its shorter then i thought. Its only measuring out to 53 inches; so total working length I suspect will be much shorter?
My plan was to make wide paddle type bow out of, but not totally positive. I don't really have anything to go by as far as what cherry can and cant do.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:27:12 pm »
Stick with a bendy handle D style bow for a stave that length. You'll need all the working limb you can get with black cherry....also a light backing like raw hide or silk is a good idea.  ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 10:48:45 pm »
I've made several black cherry bows... all backed with hickory, maple, or rawhide. All have been 64"-66", with 1 1/2"- 1 3/4" wide limbs for 2/3s, and tapering to 1/2" tips. Keep cherry wide and long, or it will probably fret or break, and take excessive set. I think you're asking a lot out of a 53" branch stave. But, that being said, give it a go, and see what happens. Sounds like a good learning experience to me.

Offline 22arrows

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 10:58:56 pm »
Thanks fellas, I guess that's all i can do is give it a go.

Offline Danny Roberts

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 03:19:52 pm »
What happened to the rest of the tree ?
Kentucky

Offline 22arrows

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 10:12:24 pm »
What happened to the rest of the tree ?

Oh its all still there; this branch I got was the smallest thing I could carry out ;D
I really dont have the tools to cut out some larger staves.