Author Topic: Advise and fresh set of eyes needed  (Read 4000 times)

Offline Bear

Advise and fresh set of eyes needed
« on: April 14, 2009, 12:04:19 pm »
Had to back away last night and thought it would be a good time to see it on film and get some fresh eyes. I have it to 60 @ 24 with a target of 60 @ 29.5. It is 64" ntn. I accidentally drew to 65# a couple times, but I assume once or twice wont kill it.

I made a much bigger mistake that I am really kicking myself over. In the pic facing the washer/dryer, on the left limb about 10 inches in from the nock, I have reduced the limb unevenly. This is very frustrating as I know how common this mistake is and I thought I was doing well keeping my scraper flat. On the week side it is still probably ok, as long as I don't touch it again till final sanding. ?The heavy side needs to come down a good bit,  which is good...I think. I hope it doesnt hinge when I do so. It is already properllering right there when it is drawn  due to the uneven thickness. With five inches of draw left to go, I think I will be ok. Any ideas on how to approach it would be appreciated.

I have been using a pully and scale tillering tree... just put it on the stick for using Krewson's "tillering gizmo". I know the tips are still heavy... I'll start reducing the thickness as I get closer to target, just want to make sure they stay static... I want to leave them a little thick, as I pan to make them as narrow as possible.

Here you go... Pics from both sides...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 12:08:03 pm by Bear »
Just remember, you can't put the wood back on.

East Tennessee

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Advise and fresh set of eyes needed
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 12:28:27 pm »
Alex the left limb look pretty good maybe just a little stiff in a 3-4 in. section just before you get to the thin spot .the Right need a little 6-8 in. out from the fads out torward the tips.You may want to start getting a little at the fads at this point also.I usually save that and the last 6 inches or so torward the tips till last,but you are getting pretty close. Keep us posted.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 12:31:10 pm »
Bear one of the best things you could do at this point is set up a backboard with a grid. a piece of sheetrock or plywood or anything that you can draw an even grid on will help in seeing your tiller. Some use peg board because it has a hole pattern for a grid . but I have found I like a little more open grid to be able to see the pattern easier.

Offline Bear

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 12:47:06 pm »
Thanks, fellers.

I did start working the fades just a little on the last sraping round. I figured once I got everything nice and even out to 25 or so I'd start reducing the fades and tips. I just hope it doesnt hinge when I even up the side adjacent to thin side. I recon as long as I reduce the area leading up to it as I go it should never hinge. I think theres plenty of wood.

I do plan on putting up some peg board behind my tillering tree this weekend.

Keep 'em coming.

East Tennessee

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 01:23:39 pm »
Get a little more bending from the fades out around the handle area and I would scrape a bit mid limb and on. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bear

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 03:13:27 pm »
Should I be concerned that it has already lost most, if not all reflex? It's pretty much straight now.

East Tennessee

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 03:24:06 pm »
I didn't see how much reflex you had but I wouldn't be overly concerned. . Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Timo

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 10:43:46 pm »
Bear, I think it looks perty well overall. As said, the fades need some attention,and then the outer thirds,out toward the tips.  As for losing reflex? The best shooting bow I have carries 1 1/2".  ;)Just make sure to get the wood dry and keep it that way throughout the process. carry on,your're doing fine.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 08:35:15 am »
Alex, as for the narrow spot...be careful about removing wood from the other side even though there might be a little propellor in the limbs. Propellor is better then a hinge...if it is stiff in that spot, I'd take off a little at a time and be sure to flex the limbs a lot between scrappings. If anything, I'd leave it a little stiff in that spot due to the potential of it becoming a hinge. That's my 2 cents... :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 09:07:38 am »
It's looking pretty good to me. Like said about the fades. I wouldn't get too bothered by losing reflex either. Again,it's looking good and just take it slow on the finish up.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Bear

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 09:36:02 am »
That's true, Greg. Glad you mentioned it. I might just continue on trusting tiller only, rather than worry about evening it up and end up with a hinge in the process.

It might be Friday before I can put steel to wood again. Will post pics when I can.

Thanks again, everyone.

East Tennessee