Author Topic: Best adhesives for bow making?  (Read 40801 times)

slathrop

Best adhesives for bow making?
« on: April 10, 2009, 04:21:04 am »
So I've been using titebond III for my bow making but I know that bowyers usually use Urac-185 or Smooth On or Bow Grip to apply backing to their bows.  Are there other alternatives?  I only ask because I can't find Urac-185, Smooth On or Bow Grip here in Hawaii and everytime I look into ordering any of that stuff, the shipping to get it here is ridiculous.
I heard of some stuff called G-Flex that is used in boat building and I was wondering if it might work well.  It's waterproof, flexible and is made specifically for adhering wood to wood on boats.  I also heard of some stuff called Pro-Glue that is used for gluing veneers and wondered if that might work for bow making.
Any thoughts?

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
Re: Best adhesives for bow making?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 07:05:21 am »
not sure about the G-flex, but rescourcenal is another marine glue. might be able to find that. I beleive its what Gary Davis uses on his splices.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 10:48:06 am »
The poly glues like Pro Bond and Gorilla Glue are terrible glues for bow making. I found out the hard way.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 10:54:09 am »
I use TB3 for everything, and no problems. It's strong, cheap, and cleans up with water.

slathrop

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 03:30:53 pm »
The poly glues like Pro Bond and Gorilla Glue are terrible glues for bow making. I found out the hard way.
Yeah I learned that about gorilla glue already as well. 

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 04:22:37 pm »
    Yes, resorcinol is what Gary uses. I also have a John McCullough bbo and he used it also! There is a price to pay living in Paradise! Good Shootin, steve

Offline shamus

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 01:00:10 pm »
It depends on your backing.

if your backing is wood or bamboo, then Urac is great. Others have used Tite Bond III on wood backings with good results.

If you're backing is rawhide or cloth, I'd use Tite Bond III.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 01:22:04 pm »
I only use resorcinol for laminate.  Never had a problem.  The polyurethane glues like Gorilla Glue are porous and work for only static, non-bending materials.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 01:24:40 pm »
I only use resorcinol for laminate bows. Never had a problem. Dries slow so you can positionre-position your materials. Gorilla glue is a polyurethane glue and cannot be used for flexible, bending materials.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 01:32:19 pm »
when Gorrilla Glue or Pro Bond start to cure there is a foaming action...anf this leaves minute air bubbles in your glue joint which is a big No No!! I almost always use Titebond 2 or 3....but have used Urac a time or three....but I don't like the Shelf Life of it....this G-Flex sounds pretty promising....if it will glue woods like Teak and Ipe  together without any problems from the Oils...it should do great....and from what I have read about it....I am up for trying it for sure......here is what the Company says about it....

Properties of G/flex Epoxy that make it superior for use by boaters:

Toughness and flexibility: G/flex has been “toughened,” formulated to give bonds that can absorb the stresses of expansion, contraction, shock and vibration. It’s resilient, impact resistant and more flexible than other epoxies, some three-times more flexible than most.
It bonds well to a variety of materials, including dissimilar ones: Plastics, metals, fiberglass, wood, ceramics, rubber and much more.
It’s easy to use: Resin and hardener are mixed in a 1-to-1 ratio, by volume. It has a relatively long open working time, yet it cures quickly and can be used in cool temperatures.
It gives good adhesion to wet and damp surfaces: It lets you glue to damp woods. It can be used on wet surfaces, even underwater when applied with specific techniques.
It gives excellent adhesion to hard-to-bond woods: Domestic and exotic woods that are hard to glue, like white oak, teak, purpleheart and ipe bond successfully with G/flex.
It’s great for so much more than boats and boating equipment! You’ll find many more uses for G/flex. Glue and repair leather and synthetic shoes and boots, seal gutters and drains, bond coated and uncoated fabrics. Repair spas, snowmobile and motorcycle fenders, tubs and showers, tool handles, hockey sticks, tennis and racquetball rackets, household ceramics and so much more!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 01:36:16 pm »
That sounds like good stuff Mike. Good to thro in the boat for emergency repairs too. Where can I fint it?.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 01:37:44 pm »
That sounds like good stuff Mike. Good to thro in the boat for emergency repairs too. Where can I fint it?.....Brian

PM sent
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 08:33:38 pm »
What would be the best for antler knock tips or arrow shelf?  Would TBIII work?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 10:17:48 pm »
Titebond will do it all...its just a matter of preference........I use Titebond Glues for everything from Tip Overlays to Snake Skins and Linen
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 09:30:10 pm »
 I have used G- Flex and it is great stuff. The potential drawback would be that it may creep but West seems to have figured out a way of minimizing that despite the flexibility of the glue.
 I really like the way it works.