Author Topic: question about drying wood  (Read 2309 times)

Offline wvbowhntr

question about drying wood
« on: April 06, 2009, 06:49:39 pm »
I have done hickory bows by taking a green stave down to rough bow shape and it dried in a matter of a few weeks,  I was wondering if you can do the same with osage or black locust?  I have a couple of staves of each but they are not even close to being dry yet.  Any help would be appriciated.
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: question about drying wood
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 06:52:39 pm »
I would imagine it would work out good with just about any wood wv. You probably already know to clamp it to a caul or straight board of some sort.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 07:29:59 pm »
Just seal the back and ends really good. Trust me.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 10:43:56 pm »
If you want to dry it quick. I would rough it out but keep the limbs the full width for the entire lenght.  Seal the back and ends really well with at least 3 coats of shellac.  Then let it dry at room temp for a week or so.  If you have a hot box I would then put it in the box and gradually raise the temp.  Check the weight of the stave as it dries.  Once it has stopped losing weight in big increments, it should be ready to work.  You will know when you are floor tillering it.  If it springs back it is probably good.  Also the shavings will give you a good idea how dry it is. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 12:15:04 am »
I bought an osage stave at the end of May last year that was cut May 8th. Within a mopnth or so I made a recurve. I noticed later that the belly was beginning to fret so I have put it up until I can fix it. I believe I should have given the wood more time to cure.
...but yes! you can.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:21:35 am »
You can ,especially with white wood,but I always like to give Osage at least a year,even if I thin it down,I just believe it make a better bow,not sure but thats what I think,there is a difference in dry and seasoned.  :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good