Author Topic: Q?  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Hoodoo

Q?
« on: April 03, 2009, 12:49:39 pm »
I was jus reading an article about a guy heat treating a bow. I was jus curious to what the heat treatment does and how it works?
Thanks, Trey

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Q?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 01:15:03 pm »
Heat treating works primarily with white woods to increase the compression strength. I have also used it on osage with good results.
  To heat treat a bow I clamp it to a form with some reflex added and heat the belly with a heat gun until it is chocolate brown. Then I leave it in the form for 3 or 4 days so the wood will rehydrate after the heating. Do not heat treat the back of your bow and be careful you don't accidently do that while heating the belly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 08:58:37 pm »
what stage do you heat treat?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 12:57:45 am »
Probably any time after you hit full brace height. If necessary you can do it again after tillering.
   Once you temper your belly, let the stave rest for a few days to rehydrate or the bow will blow. :o If you are in a dry climate let it rest a week before stressing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Shooter_G22

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 09:06:11 am »
Wow...   this i did not know Pat...   thanks...   i was toasting bellys and then letting it cool about an hr and then going back to working the bow...  no wonder they been blowing up on me ::) ::)

goes to show what a dummy will do with out proper knowledge... :D :D

i love this place.. learn something everytime i read new post ;)